Passionflower wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbie Mel

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Soon I will have an over abundance of these flowers, which will also produce a fruit. I attempted to get pulp out of fruit last year and it was a failure, not much inside. The flowers are so beautiful and fragrant. As our expert resident, @BigDaveK , has often suggested I made a tea. Great scent, but I didn’t taste much of anything. Has anyone made a wine with these flowers? I would love to hear more.

Attachments

• IMG_5460.jpeg
    IMG_5460.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Soon I will have an over abundance of these flowers, which will also produce a fruit. I attempted to get pulp out of fruit last year and it was a failure, not much inside. The flowers are so beautiful and fragrant. As our expert resident, @BigDaveK , has often suggested I made a tea. Great scent, but I didn’t taste much of anything. Has anyone made a wine with these flowers? I would love to hear more.
I'll agree with one part - I'm a resident.😂
I'm jealous - passion flower and passion fruit are still on my list.
I'm wondering about the quantity of flowers. For example, my recent elderflower wines only used a pint for good flavor. But my recent honeysuckle used 3 quarts for great flavor. Maybe it's a quantity issue?

Bonus tip: forget about bergamot flowers. Found a huge patch while foraging. VERY aromatic but in a chemical way. Avoid.

Might want to consider the juice filled seed clusters in the fruit and not the entire pod. We used to eat the inside of the pods kinda like a pomegranate when I was a kid. Of course, when I was kid, the Dead Sea wasn't even sick!!!!

I'm wondering about the quantity of flowers. For example, my recent elderflower wines only used a pint for good flavor. But my recent honeysuckle used 3 quarts for great flavor. Maybe it's a quantity issue?

Bonus tip: forget about bergamot flowers. Found a huge patch while foraging. VERY aromatic but in a chemical way. Avoid.
@BigDaveK If there is a way, and you are interested, I can send you some vines. I read they are easy to propagate. They are very invasive. I have them everywhere. Thing with the fruit is, once they are ripe there’s not much inside, like maybe a teaspoon of pulp. They are maypops, not traditional passion fruit. I may try again with the fruit this year, just had zero patience last year and now I have about 1% patience. Still not sure about the flowers because I couldn’t taste anything in the tea, but a lot of tea doesn’t taste like much to me.

Might want to consider the juice filled seed clusters in the fruit and not the entire pod. We used to eat the inside of the pods kinda like a pomegranate when I was a kid. Of course, when I was kid, the Dead Sea wasn't even sick!!!!
@bearpaw8491 Were the ones you ate as a kid small, without much pulp? Mine are maypops, not the traditional passion fruit one thinks of. They are green when ripe, not purple. I’m thinking there is only a teaspoon to maybe a tablespoon of seed clusters inside the ripe fruit.

@BigDaveK If there is a way, and you are interested, I can send you some vines. I read they are easy to propagate. They are very invasive. I have them everywhere. Thing with the fruit is, once they are ripe there’s not much inside, like maybe a teaspoon of pulp. They are maypops, not traditional passion fruit. I may try again with the fruit this year, just had zero patience last year and now I have about 1% patience. Still not sure about the flowers because I couldn’t taste anything in the tea, but a lot of tea doesn’t taste like much to me.
I appreciate the offer, I am interested, but I have too many invasive plants! Honeysuckle, blackberries, even sassafras and redbuds. The sassafras isn't too bad - I usually let them grow for maybe 2-3 years and then dig up the roots. Sassafras wine was one of my favorites from last year. And I love sassafras jelly and tea.
While not really invasive, I also have hundreds (yes, hundreds!) of elderberry seedlings all over the property. Transplanted a bunch to better locations to grow and nurture and I'm in the process of yanking others from the flower garden. BTW, I recently fell in love with elderberry wine.

@bearpaw8491 Were the ones you ate as a kid small, without much pulp? Mine are maypops, not the traditional passion fruit one thinks of. They are green when ripe, not purple. I’m thinking there is only a teaspoon to maybe a tablespoon of seed clusters inside the ripe fruit.
Yep about the size of a small chicken egg and yes they were Maypops and not traditional passion fruit. You're right, there's not a lot to the pulp (seed sacks) so it will take many "pops" for a batch of wine. You could probably scrape out the seed sacks, and freeze until you have enough for for the amount of wine you plan to make.

Attachments

• IMG_5501.jpeg
    IMG_5501.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Could be growing conditions or a hundred other factors. I'm avoiding the ones here. Yes, it does smell rather nice. Did you taste it? That's what made up my mind.

But you're the boss in your world! If you like it, use it!
Lol! I don’t trust what tastes good to me. I’m a weirdo with things I like and don’t like. I hate seafood.

This had a minty taste to me. Don’t have much that I have found, so just curious at this point. I’m damned and determined to find some weed in my yard to make wine. This is the first year I have been walking the field and I keep taking pictures wondering what’s out there. It’s a fun new hobby. Much better than counting beans, which is my paid job.

This had a minty taste to me. Don’t have much that I have found, so just curious at this point. I’m damned and determined to find some weed in my yard to make wine. This is the first year I have been walking the field and I keep taking pictures wondering what’s out there. It’s a fun new hobby.
I understand. Most weeds I've tasted this year would make a good addition to a salad but that's it. Still waiting for some to flower and keeping my fingers crossed.
Much better than counting beans, which is my paid job.
I made two runner bean wines last year. One had long red Chinese noodle bean and is very tasty, opened a bottle last night coincidentally. But I think we're talking about different beans. 😄

Bergamot is the scent in Earl Grey tea, just wondering how they get the flavour? Is it from the flowers or the leaves?

I have found quite a number of plants for which the same common name is used for completely different plants. That's why for any serious discussion, I want to know the scientific name. For any medicinal herbs, I insist on seeing the scientific name printed on the package before I will buy them.

I have found quite a number of plants for which the same common name is used for completely different plants. That's why for any serious discussion, I want to know the scientific name. For any medicinal herbs, I insist on seeing the scientific name printed on the package before I will buy them.
I am not buying. Interested in using plants I find growing on my property. Are you saying I need to confirm what is growing?

I am not buying. Interested in using plants I find growing on my property. Are you saying I need to confirm what is growing?
Absolutely! Not all fruits and flowers are edible. In some cases, certain types are poisonous while others are edible.

In a recent post, @BigDaveK mentioned that some strains of a flower are poisonous while most are not. I pinged Dave as I cannot recall the details.

KNOW what you are fermenting. Don't guess or assume.

Latest posts

Back