Oxygen for better Fermentation?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MDVDuber

Junior
Reaction score
Hello,

I was wondering if wine yeast would benefit from a shot of oxygen at the start of fermentation? I realize that oxygen is BAD later in fermentation, but when brewing beer it's a good idea to give the wort a shot of oxygen to help the yeast with the initial reproduction cycle and to give a cleaner more attenuative fermentation.

Since I've got the fancy wand with the the stainless sir stone on it - I was wondering if I should hit my wine with some oxygen and if how much. i.e. with beer it's usually 30 sec to 1 min at 1 litre per minute. the length depends upon the SG of the wort.

Thanks!

I think you may be better off with an air pump and airstone from a fish store... Ive read in a few places somepeople do that when their fermentation is in a closed system..

I think your must is fine without adding anything. As long as your temperature is in the low to mid 70's your yeast will have no problem doing what it's supposed to do. IMO Good Luck!

White or red?

Generally speaking, it won't hurt if you do it just before you pitch the yeast. Usually all you have to do is stir it really well so you stir in some oxygen; then stir it again gently every day or so during primary.

MDVDuber:

My understanding is that wine yeast does need oxygen in the beginning. For kits, the must should be stirred well to mix the bentonite, and then again to mix the juice/concentrate with the additional water needed. If this is done vigourously there should be enough oxygen mixed in that it won't be a problem. At least that's my understanding.

Steve

You most definitely need oxygen during primary, hence the term Aerobic Fermentation

If you deprive the yeast of oxygen during the first week or two you'll have stressed yeast.

I always give my musts a stir once a day during primary fermenation. I ferment in a large drum or bucket depending on how many gallons. I will just throw a tea towel or cheese cloth tied over the top to allow oxygen in.

You most definitely need oxygen during primary, hence the term Aerobic Fermentation

If you deprive the yeast of oxygen during the first week or two you'll have stressed yeast.

I always give my musts a stir once a day during primary fermenation. I ferment in a large drum or bucket depending on how many gallons. I will just throw a tea towel or cheese cloth tied over the top to allow oxygen in.

I agree, that's the way it is supposed to be done. I have preached the differences and requirements of aerobic and anaerobic stages of fermentation with little results.

When the Chardonnay, which won the Paris competition, as portrayed in the movie Bottle Shock, was made, the Chard was made in a Stainless Steel Tank. The hole in the top had a huge wade of cotton loosely stuffed in it to let CO2 out and some oxygen in. Michael Grgich understood the importance of oxygen.

That particular wine didn't turn out half bad, either. :r

Latest posts

Back