Over oaking

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ramsis23

Reaction score
I have a current batch of malbec that I let sit on hungarian oak cubes for about three months. It now tastes way too oaky for my preferences. From everything I know, the flavor will decrease over time, but I fear this may be too much. Anyone have any suggestions besides time?

I have a current batch of malbec that I let sit on hungarian oak cubes for about three months. It now tastes way too oaky for my preferences. From everything I know, the flavor will decrease over time, but I fear this may be too much. Anyone have any suggestions besides time?

If it was mine, I would plan to put it aside for another 3 months and see what happens to the oak. If it is still too oaky for your taste, then consider making another wine to blend with it - I'd think about a shiraz, but that't just me.

When I put my first wine through my brand new Vadai barrel, it had already had oak in primary, and was tasting pretty oaky. 60 days later, it felt like it wasn't enough, so I added cubes. 6 weeks after that, "chateau home depot". I was worried. But 12 months after that, it had just a hint of oak and still maintains just a slight essence today (almost another year later). What I'm trying to say is give it time - maybe more than you'd like to. The oak falls back. Try it again in 90 days and see what you think. If it is still too much, go another 90. At that point, consider blending, but know that it'll still fall back a little more.

Keep it in glass carboy for a few (6) more months I'll bet its fine after that.

Latest posts

Back