Opti-white

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishonline

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I’m starting 15 gallons of Brehm Chardonnay juice tonight. I plan on doing 3 batches, two 6 gallon and one 3 gallon batch. I drove to Midwest today to get Opti-white but unfortunately I got the wrong amount and only got enough for about 12 gallons of wine. My question is should I use less than the recommended amount and add it to all three of the batches or should I add the recommended amount to both 6 gallon batches and leave it out of the three gallon batch. I won’t have time to go back to the store and get more. Any thoughts?

It's something that Bhrem suggests you add to their juice. This is what it is supposed to do: Packet Opti-White which increases mouthfeel, avoids browning, increases the wine's protein stability and volatile thiols, and protects fresh aromas during aging

I'm just not sure how important it is? I live about 75 miles from the wine shop and the juice is thawed so I have to make it tonight. I really don't want to drive back there if it's not that big of a deal. Or if I can stretch the amount to cover all three batches that would be fine too.

You could also do an experiment. Use it in the 2 six gallon batches and let the 3 gallon be a control to see if it made any real difference in mouthfeel etc.

I used the Opti-white on the two 6 gallon batches as an experiment. I also used two different yeasts on the two 6 gallon batches to compare. I used D47 on one and Premier Cuvee on the other. I pitched both using Go-ferm. I checked this morning and the batch using Premier Cuvee was already very active and the other two that I used the D47 showed no signs of fermentation. Just thought I’d share..

I actually got them for $100 per bucket shipped, which is pretty reasonable when compared to most premium kits. But non the less I'm trying to follow Peter's direction as I have in the past.

Ya the local distributor bought out someone else’s remaining inventory, normally they are around 140-150 shipped. I’ve seen the pricing for this falls inventory and it’s up quite a bit.

Latest posts

Back