Opps, I put in twice the amount of sugar ??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xcaret

Reaction score
I'm starting my strawberry wine and looked at my "winemaking made easy" book which says to 5 kg rasberrys ( I figure they are similar to strawberrys) you add 6.5 kg of sugar , a little more than the weight of the fruit. So I did, but the watery solution is so thick I read farther along and the book says these measures are for 23 liters of fruit wine. I have all this in about 12.5- 13 liters of water , 10 less than the book calls for . This is no big deal at the moment because I started with 10 kgs of Strawberrys ,but only used half them , The other half ( I'm taking the stems off now. So I'm wondering what will happen if I leave it like that with all that sugar?
As it stands now I plan to dilute it down to what the book says , but I'm curious to know what happens when you put way to much sugar in?
I'm going to add the yeast tomorrow.

Many yeasts cannot tolerate it if the sugar is too high. The yeast might not grow. For very high sugar musts people use special yeasts suited for it. You risk stuck and incomplete fermentation. I would definitely dilute it. It is best to use your hydrometer and go by the initial gravity reading rather than just following a recipe for the amount of sugar.

You can add the rest of the berries and some water but no more sugar.

I don't think he has measured the gravity and is probably using bread yeast. I don't think bread yeast will work with the high sugar.

Thanks you guys , dont leave me yet, I have a hydometer ,and when I filtered off some clear juce from the must ,its so sugary that it wont even sink low enough to get a reading probably 1.75 or so.
I'm going to dilute this down as I have another 5kg's of strawberrys sitting in another container not mashed up yet, I cleaned them last night.
I like high alchol content , what yeast would be best ? I havnt added any to either batch yet.

Yes. double the batch, use the hydrometer, and I would go with Lalvin K1-V1116 or if your sugar is still up there EC-1118

Latest posts

Back