Only Sulfite needs to be added?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teamsterjohn

Reaction score
Im pretty sure that I read a post on here that stated, if your going to age your wine for a long time in a carboy. Lets say 9 to 12 or more months, that you do not have to add sorbate or any clearing agents because time will clear it for you with a few racking. Just keep added your sulfite every 3 to 4 mouths. Am I right on this?

Yep. Just keep adding 1/4tsp of meta every 90 days

You will still need to add sorbate if you sweeten the wine.

Steve

Steve,
How do you like the Canadian Malt Co (2-row)?
We been getting pallet buys (2,000#) real cheap

What I was told on here is one campden tablet per gallon in the primary (waiting 24 hours before adding the yeast), and then despite how many times you do or don't rack the wine after that you should not add any more campden for 3 months at a time. What I'm wondering is if it's less than 3 months and I plan to bottle do I need to still do 1 per gallon then? Also, if it's been less than 3 months and I plan to sweeten do I still need to add the campden (1 per gallon) along with the sorbate then? I hear they both need to work we each other to prevent further fermentation so that's why I'm asking.

only 1/2 true
AFTER fermentation stops and dry .990 you can do 2 things.
1 Stabilize with meta 1 tab per gal and continue to clear and age.
OR
2 do MLF and AFTER that done stabilize w/ meta
The tabs BEFORE fermentation is to stum the wild yeast only

Okay could someone please explain what P- Sorbate does? I use P - Meta but up intil this week I have only made wine from juice. So why would I use P - Sorbate after I backsweeten? Which at some point I am sure I will run across as I expand my wine making ability here and start working on fruit wines

Okay could someone please explain what P- Sorbate does? I use P - Meta but up intil this week I have only made wine from juice. So why would I use P - Sorbate after I backsweeten? Which at some point I am sure I will run across as I expand my wine making ability here and start working on fruit wines

Sorbate stops the growth of yeast. When you k-meta a wine you are killing the yeast but because there is yeast in the air if you add more sugar after fermentation after a time it will re-ferment, so you add sorbate which will stop the growth of new yeast forming in your wine.

Sorbate stops the growth of yeast. When you k-meta a wine you are killing the yeast but because there is yeast in the air if you add more sugar after fermentation after a time it will re-ferment, so you add sorbate which will stop the growth of new yeast forming in your wine.

Not exactly correct. K-Meta, at the levels we're talking about here, does not kill wine yeast. When stabalizing, you add k-meta for several reasons:
1. Anti-oxidation
2. Anti-microbial (general, including wild yeast)
3. Anti-MLF

Sorbate keeps existing yeast from reproducing, so when they die off they aren't replaced by their offspring.

SO2 (k-meta) levels should be at a minimum of 30ppm when adding sorbate to prevent MLF. If you aren't measuring SO2 levels, then common practice is to add k-meta and sorbate together.

MLF + sorbate = ruined wine!

......Sorbate keeps existing yeast from reproducing, so when they die off they aren't replaced by their offspring.......

This was the only point I was trying to make, guess I didn't do to good of a job at that, sorry.

Oh my.

About 3 months ago before I departed overseas, I dosed the wine with 1/4 tsp per gallon.

What might the consequences be for this mistake?

I would splash rack it a few times. Then test

I think I can safely avoid adding more K-meta until my return in about 3 months.

When you say test, do you mean taste-test or is there a test kit I should be using?

Wait till you return. Yes there is a so2 test. Remember to tell someone to ck and make sure water is in the airlock.

Back