On Vacation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmallTown

Reaction score
I will be on vacation for the next seven weeks.:fsh I have everything here to make a batch of wine. My question is will it hurt the wine driving it back 1100 miles to home at the end of my vacation? It will be in the secondary carboy.:cw

I will be on vacation for the next seven weeks.:fsh I have everything here to make a batch of wine. My question is will it hurt the wine driving it back 1100 miles to home at the end of my vacation? It will be in the secondary carboy.:cw

HUH? Are you making the wine while on vacation? What are you making? is it a kit or from fresh fruit? Traveling with it for that long I would for sure want to make sure it is done fermenting so there isn't any explosions of bungs. One thing for sure you'll probably get some degassing done along the way.

OK making the wine while on vacation. Making it from frozen fruits. Will be in the 6th to 7th week into the process when returning. I'm new to all of this that is why I'm asking.

I am not sure how this would affect your wine but, generally, vibration is one of the things (along with temperature changes and UV light) that you want to avoid.

I might have to agree with Wade on this. Seven weeks of vacation, LOL, I can't complain, I get 6 weeks but 4 is official and the other two is more or less unofficial, depending on snow days.

Anyway, I understand you won't want to wait until you came back to start this, I would try and keep it frozen until you get to where you are going, then defrost and ferment, when bringing it home, keep it in a carboy and make sure you insulate that carboy. Your goal coming home is to keep it from moving as much as possible.

Please keep us posted on your progress, I am sure there are others who would love to know if this is possible.

Vacation

You mean not everybody gets seven weeks vacation???:dbhaha. Well it's not really vacation I just retired and it's R & R. You know you only retire once... Ok I'm starting it today so wish me luck. I'm needing sometime to do so I'm going for it...:pty

Last edited:
Welcome aboard!!

I agree with Wade and Julie. Keep the fruit frozen until you get back.

It won't hurt anything to keep them frozen that much longer. All the sunlight, up and down temps, vibrations, all things you want to avoid.

I would just wait...

Depends on where you live and where you are vacationing, you could start it and just leave it at a members house and we'll take care if it for you :h

Latest posts

Back