Ohio juice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Rocky, you rock! I'm not a fan of spouts on fermenters but your set up speaks for itself. I like how you have everything documented on your computer in case you forget where you put it. I suppose when I get that old I'll have to think about doing that. :)

Yes, Dan, I know that I am in the minority in using spigots on my fermenters but I like the convenience when it comes time to rack. I have all additions in bags so once the wine is nearing the end of the fermentation cycle, it is an easy matter to locate the carboy under the spigot and open it. When I am finished, I remove and clean the spigots and soak them in the "open" position in K-meta for an hour or so.

I guess it goes back to when I made wine with my family many years ago. Back then, we did not have a spigot. We had a round, tapered peg pounded into a drain hole near the bottom of the fermenting barrel (a barrel standing upright with the barrel head removed). After a week to 10 days of fermentation, we would pull the peg out and drain the barrel until we started getting a lot of sediment. That "first run" wine was the best, for family and best friends! We would then scoop out the skins and press them. That wine was for "not so good" friends!

Thanks Rocky
Do you check your acids on these buckets? Im thinking of trying you blend, what tyoe of yeast did you use and how do you plan on oaking? Our buckets in MI arrive next Friday. This year there will be no lugs of grapes available to buy.

Jhawk, again regarding the acid level, I rely on the company and trust that it is in balance. It may not be the safest thing to do but I have not had a problem. The yeast I used was Lalvin D254. I added Medium Toast American chips to the primary and will add Oak cubes (either French or American) to the secondary. I also added two grape packs (Mosti Mondiale) from M&M which were 4 Kgs each. The variety of the grape packs was not specified but I was told by M&M that they are Merlot.

Last edited:
Picked up my Bello Chilean juice order from Listermann's Brewing yesterday. Pretty excited. Got a Cab Sauv, a Merlot, and a Malbec. Got a call back this morning there were some extra buckets left over. Went back and picked up a Carmenere and a Muscatel discounted. Had to grab a few new fermenters!!!!

If anyone in the Cincy area forgot or missed the order deadline I believe they have a few more extra Merlot buckets left there. Might go quick so if you want one and didn't order one I'd contact Chris ASAP.

Happy fermenting everyone!

Latest posts

Back