Other OB, Island Mist and Cornucopia

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShelleyDickison

President of Stay at Home and Do Nothing Inc.
Reaction score
Are these kits all basically the same. The Cornucopia are generally about 20.00 cheaper on Amazon so I was a bit leery about the quality or does it just come down to a basic Chevy and Ford type of preference. Thanks

I haven't made any of the Cornucopia kits, but IMO the Island Mist, Orchard Breezin', and Niagara Mists are all roughly the same. The main difference is in the composition of the Flavouring pack. For example, we made both the OB Green Apple and Niag Mist Green Apple one spring. They tasted different presumably because of the different F-packs, and maybe a bit due to different white wine bases. When my wife and I first tried them side-by-side, I preferred one, and she preferred the other. Two weeks later, we couldn't recall who had preferred which, as they were both good.

Steve

cornucopia

THIS is a case in point of better wine through chemistry,:dbthese kits comes complete with seals, Corks, and labels not bad for the price and they finish out tasty if not a little bit on the sweet side have made a few of these for my friends when finished properly and boosting the alcohol to 1.10 to really love their bottle of wine all things considered.:b

Having made over 20 of these types of kits we personally do not care for the IM and were greatly disappointed in the flavors in general. We do prefer the Orchard Breezin' and Cornucopia.
We still have 7 of said type kits that are still in secondary.

I'd expect the only real difference to be how the f-packs are made up. They could differ in terms of natural/artificial flavorings, for example, depending on the actual fruit flavors involved. I'm sure the wine concentrate included could make a difference, but that is probably a small difference given the size of the kit.

The only other difference you might find is that one brand has a particular flavor the other brands do not exactly have.

Chemistry

It's all in the chemistry ..................................

Latest posts

Back