Cellar Craft Oak on the Red Mtn Cab

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ibglowin said:
One was perfect and sealed fast, the other was problematic at sealing but eventually did after a week of soaking but I lost a lot of oak to water.

"Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he.
I have wondered why I have been pulling my wines out of my Vadia 6 gallon barrel sooner than expected, especially my first two batches. It only took my barrel a few hours to seal up. So my first batch had all of the original oak to soak up. My fourth batch is in the barrel now and it is the first one that will be able to stay the three months that I have planned. As far as size, I am not sure if my second barrel (when that day inevitably comes) will be 5 or 6 gallon. I find myself often taking one gallon of some batches and blending with other batches, leaving five gallons for additional carboy aging. So I can still make a case for both sizes.

As far as size, I am not sure if my second barrel (when that day inevitably comes) will be 5 or 6 gallon. I find myself often taking one gallon of some batches and blending with other batches, leaving five gallons for additional carboy aging. So I can still make a case for both sizes.

Why not get a 40L barrel, Tony? I have 2 and they hold a bit less than 11 gallons. If you make double batches, you can go ahead and blend with a gallon and still have enough wine to fill the barrel. When your results are predictably outstanding (
smiley2.gif
) you will have nearly 5 cases to enjoy.

The downside is that you don't get to experiment with as many different kits before you hit your wine making goals for the year.

v1rotate said:
Why not get a 40L barrel, Tony? you will have nearly 5 cases to enjoy.

There is no doubt that there are a few kits I have done that in retrospect I wish I had double kits of, but only being at this 3 years I am still trying different kits, different varieties and blends. Just this spring have I begun repeating some of the kits that we particularity liked. And I really don't think I can keep a 40L and my 23L both full.

ibglowin said:
If I can do it you can do it!
smiley36.gif
Not so, Swami. In less time you have done almost twice as many batches. Just in case what is the break-in schedule for a 40L. On my 23L I did 2, 4, 8, 12 week batches. I imagine 40L would go longer times? Not that I am thinking about it you know. I've just come around to the idea of a second barrel.
smiley29.gif

After a years experience with the 23L I think the break in period should be 4 weeks. 8 weeks, 16 weeks, 32 weeks....... Since all my short term wines seemed to fall back pretty heavily.

If I get a 40L I am going to go for 3 batches in 12 months. IOW's 2 months, 4, months, 6 months then its time for crush or whatever and prolly 4-6 mo a batch after the first year.

Sounds awesome!!!! I absolutely LOVE the Red Mountain Cab! I have been hemming an hawing about whether to try a couple of barrels. How many times can you reuse them? Do you use oak spirals or anything in them? Do you keep them in the house?
I would like to make my next kit (possibly a amaronne) aging in a barrel.

Thanks for all your help.
smiley32.gif

Kathie

I see that George doesn't carry the oak barrels, where do you buy yours?

Hey Kathie,

We buy them straight from Vadai out in Cali. Just google it and you will find them. They are the most inexpensive barrels out there and they are made from Hungarian oak which I really like (next to French but that would be way too expensive).

If you like Whites I have heard people having great success fermenting a white in the barrel to help break it in after that they switch to reds. You can't go back to a white after a red goes it or you will get a pink white wine! The barrels will last forever as long as you maintain them and keep them full. They should provide a good amount of oak for at least 2 and possibly 3 years. After that they become neutral and even better IMHO as now you can add a spiral or beans directly into the barrel just like a carboy.

Start with one get it broken in and see how you like it then add another down the road after you have the first broken in.

I keep mine in the winery just wherever you store your wine thats cool. Remember you will have to top up once a week with a like wine (commercial or one of your own).

Vadai sells an inexpensive stand that I would recommend so it doesn't roll around or if your good with wood working you can make one your self.

You will also need a silicone bung (they sell as well) for a few bucks. This provides a good seal and is easier to remove than the oak bung that comes with the barrel.

Let us know if you end up getting one. We can help walk you through the care and feeding!

Kathie, if you decide to get a barrel, keep in mind that you will need to have about 3 kits clarified and ready to cycle through it. As Mike noted, the first wine in the barrel might have to come out after 2 weeks, especially if you don't ferment a white first to take the edge off the oak content of the barrel. Both of my 40L Vadai barrels required the first batch of red to be removed between 3 and 4 weeks. And that was after fermenting a chardonnay in each. Typically the second red kit can stay in the barrel about twice as long as the first.

V1, very good to know. I plan to copy and paste your notes and mikes so I can remember what to do. :)

I think an oak barrel is in the near future.
smiley36.gif

According to Tim V. of Winemaking Magazine, fermenting a white or two in a brand new barrel will add very positive nuances to the barrel that it can gain no other way. It is the yeast that does this.

I was concerned about a new barrel imparting too much oak to something like a chardonnay. Apparently, even though the barrel is new, it won't impart as much oakiness to the white as one might think. The oak binds with something present in fermentation and will rack off with the yeast at clearing time. (That leaves me with a question, though, what about the oak chips/cubes that are added during fermentation; how is it any different?)

In the article he wrote he fermented a chardonnay, Pinot Gris, and Sav Blanc before he added the first red for oaking (not fermenting).

I also bought a Vadai barrel. I did the initial barrel treatment; it never leaked a single drop. I was surprised, thinking it would leak for several days.

Back