Not fermenting

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chettd

Reaction score
I began six gallons of blueberry wine two days ago and followed the recipe exactly. I waited overnight to pitch the yeast. After pitching the yeast the directions said to attach the cover to the primary. I did and we left our house for several hours afterward. When I cam home the must had perked into the airlock, which I'm guessing not allowing any air to escape? Fortunately it didn't blow off the lid. Now here's my problem. It doesn't seem to be fermenting any longer. With the lid attached and airlock in place the water is not percolating at all. Should I pitch another packet of yeast? Finally, after reading some other debates on airlocking vs. towel over the must, the debate seems to favor putting a towel over the must. The recipe says air lock, but I'm starting to wonder. . . . . . . . .

here's the recipe I used http://brewsupplies.com/homemade_wine_recipes.htm

Did you check your specific gravities?? That tells you what is going on. You should not be fermented down in this short time,tho. What temperature do you have the must at?? Should be in the mid 70's or so. Also, give the must a good stir and mix some oxygen in it. The recipe looked like it was for a gallon. You did multiply every thing by 5? Let us know, Arne.

How long has it been since you pitched the yeast? Blueberry can be difficult and may require a good yeast starter.

I leave my cover on top of the bucket without clamping it down. You should also stir often. With a full bucket, you will need a lot of oxygen.

The bucket is absolutely full. I mixed it for a six gallon carboy so I multiplied everything times six. there is very little head space at the top of the bucket. The SG has changed very little from the beginning levels so I know it hasn't really fermented. At this point I just need to "kick it in gear" but I'm unsure if I should wait or pitch another packet of yeast and leave the primary uncovered.

sounds to me like it just needs to breath good I'd possibly leave lid on but not snapped tight or cover the bucket with a towel or cloth of some type. I like to use floursack cloth myself it isn't heavy and not hard to keep up out of the must

I've done blueberry. It has a Benzoate in the juice naturally, which inhibits fermentation. Its like a preservative. I suggest like JasonH did that you get a starter. I've never been able to ferment blueberry just by pitching the yeast and stirring. Get a starter going, gradually add some blueberry to it and then pitch the starter in the bucket. Good luck!!

You shouldn't be filling any primary fermentation vessel to the top. A good rule of thumb is to keep it at 3/4. That is why it was coming out of the airlock on you, fermenting produces CO2 and can foam up. This will also make it a hell of alot easier to stir.

Keep the lid set loosely on the bucket not locked down, stir 2x daily, try adding some nutrient and/or energizer. If it has only been 2 days I doubt fermentation has stopped. More than likely since you are inhibiting the oxygen available by having an airlocked container. Check SG against where the initial SG and allow to remain in the bucket until you get to around 1.000 then transfer to carboy. Yeast need oxygen at their early stages.

If you have the primary filled to the top, I would highly recomend you find another food grade bucket and transfer some of your must to it. Your fermentation will come over the top of a full bucket. Good luck with it. Arne.

Latest posts

Back