Non-Saccharomyces Yeast - First Impressions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't wait to taste the difference! I appreciate @4score's doing the research and ambition to try something new and then committing a good portion of his grapes this season to this non-traditional approach.

Even though partnered up on grapes, the longer I’m here the more I realize how different both of your tendencies can be. The Ernie to your Burt! Does this go beyond winemaking?!? Let’s start with political views———- errrr—-just kidding.....obviously. Already enough sideways movement.
From the donated oversulfited barrel- one bottled- one went flex tank with staves. Or Non sac experiment to a micro bin. And Oak powder crush addition.
Btw- @4score - did you continue the oak powder addition at crush like last year? In May I did a split batch- w/ and w/o oak chips. Not a true test since also different yeasts, but the d254 oak chip AF had much more complexity and huge nose in comparison to D80 no oak. Blended last night.

Everyone who spends any time on this forum at all knows @4score and @NorCal are home winemaking buddies and aren't here to promote a product.

Man, some people on this forum need to lighten the **** up.

@4score, please keep us updated on this, it's the best kind of post.

Thanks. Yes - I look forward to following up with the differences between these two wines in this non-sacc experiment. @NorCal suggested that I send a couple samples to Lodi Wine Lab to check the alcohol. I think I may do that just to see how much less ABV the Prelude wine may have. I'll let MLF run its course first. I should add that @NorCal and I also shared grapes for a batch of Viognier. I used Prelude there too so that will be another one to compare (to his).

I love this forum for sharing ideas, trials, experiments, advice, achievements and information. When people get off-topic and start lecturing "about the post" - that's the kind of "advice" that I personally just filter through until we get back on topic.

Even though partnered up on grapes, the longer I’m here the more I realize how different both of your tendencies can be. The Ernie to your Burt! Does this go beyond winemaking?!? Let’s start with political views———- errrr—-just kidding.....obviously. Already enough sideways movement.
From the donated oversulfited barrel- one bottled- one went flex tank with staves. Or Non sac experiment to a micro bin. And Oak powder crush addition.
Btw- @4score - did you continue the oak powder addition at crush like last year? In May I did a split batch- w/ and w/o oak chips. Not a true test since also different yeasts, but the d254 oak chip AF had much more complexity and huge nose in comparison to D80 no oak. Blended last night.
YES - good point on the oak dust! That's another difference. I used the "chips" on each fermentation. Crushed right on top!

Glad you saw some possible improvements....or at least, a new version!

YES - good point on the oak dust! That's another difference. I used the "chips" on each fermentation. Crushed right on top!

Glad you saw some possible improvements....or at least, a new version!
Last year’s video of filling the bin was pretty cool.

“At least, a new version”. Lol. Clever wording.

A shame No way to tell if the differences were more yeast or oak or a combo. Im still undecided which direction to go next wknd. And if oaking- which tannin powder to use? There’s so many. It’s cab sav clone#8 from Paso Robles. Any suggestions?

Non-sac yeast definitely sounds like something I’ll be attempting at some point. Looks like you’ve been reading up on it for a few months at least. I’m sure I’ll dive into the research sooner or later.

Politically we are spot on, but our approach to wine making is quite different. Not better or worse, just different. I would say I’m analytical, attention to detail and risk averse, where @4score is willing to try new things and has a keen sense of what it takes to make an excellent wine. His best of show at the CA State Fair is proof.
Funny story, we both entered the same wine in a local country fair. We made it together, bottled together...they were the same exact wine. My bottle won best of show, his didn’t even ribbon. Still get a chuckle with that one.

After all, my first impression of this post was it was an unpaid ad. Is my opinion worth less than yours?

First impressions are overrated, though mine of you has proven to be sound, asinine post after asinine post.

Here, everyone has a right to an opinion, right or wrong, everything doesn’t need to be attacked, ripped apart ad nauseum just so you can prove your point. To me, that makes your opinions worth way less than the OP, but that’s my opinion. Try to exercise some admirable qualities, couth comes to mind, so does discretion. Maybe even some good old “mom” lessons like: “If you don’t have something nice to say, don’t say anything at all”, or maybe some wise words like “Discretion is the better part of valor”.

I really don’t care what you thought of the original post, or really anything you take the time to grace the forum with, more often than not your posts are offensive and combative. It’s not the job of @4score to inform you that he’s not advertising, he’s been here way longer than you. If you don’t like a thread, don’t read it.

It’s kinda sad, you seem to have good winemaking experience and skills, if only you could learn to share them productively, you could be an asset to your fellow forum members, instead of a distraction.

Politically we are spot on, but our approach to wine making is quite different. Not better or worse, just different. I would say I’m analytical, attention to detail and risk averse, where @4score is willing to try new things and has a keen sense of what it takes to make an excellent wine. His best of show at the CA State Fair is proof.

I, too, love the fact that you guys take the same grapes and vinify them differently. It's a nice exercise!

Latest posts

Back