Non-Saccharomyces Group Buy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob1016

Reaction score
I started a thread over on GotMead (I'm primarily a mead maker) about some non-saccharomyces yeast that are out now, and I wanted to see if anyone here was interested.
There are two products we're interested in: Chr Hansen Prelude, and Concerto, the first a strain of T. Delbrueckii, the second K. Thermotolerans. Here are some reference papers:
http://www.enolviz.com/modulos/pdfs/productos/levaduras/28/699118_PRELUDE.nsac.pdf
http://catalog.gusmerenterprises.com/Asset/PI%20Viniflora%20Concerto%20UK%20June%20111.pdf

Gusmer enterprises is the only one I know of that carries them in the US, but only in 500g packs. Last I checked it's between $0.18-$0.20/g of yeast. So far I've got ~175g of each accounted for.

If anyone is interested, post up what you'd like. Also, if anyone wants to beat me to it and buy the pack and package it yourself, that's cool, just make sure you can vacuum seal the individual packs; if you have access to a clean room with a laminar flow hood, please offer your services! ;)

I'm hoping I don't get those replies of: I do non-sacch stuff all the time, I use brett and lacto and pedio. I'm not talking about beer yeast/bacteria, these are specifically designed for wines. Let me know :)

Have you used these varieties or this producer before? I have a sour mead that I currently have in the brainworks stage.

They are not sour types (though the K Thermotolerans does produce good amounts of lactic acid, about the same as a low malic must put through MLF). I havenot used any chr hansen products, nor the lallemand T delbrueckii strain. There are quite a few commercial wineries using them as a "sort-of wild fermentation", getting the complexity that goes with wild ferments, but not the problems that can occur.

Interesting,I wonder how their products would end up working with a mead....I guess that is what you intend on finding out...

I've done some reading in this ballpark, and have always been interested in trying these yeasts.. Unfortunately, life has me in a money crunch right now, but I'll see if I can figure something out.. Hard to let an opportunity such as this, just pass me by..

Latest posts

Back