No Fermentation after 48 hours

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You shold be ok for another couple of days on the must and dint even think about the natural benzoate with cranberries, I always seem to forget allabout that.

Well as we speak, I have about 12 oz. of apple juice cooling down in a sterilized glass waiting for it to come down too100F, also have a makeshift stireer from a plastic coat hanger sitting in a k meta solution. The drill will be here in a few minutes and I am going to aerate it good and add the starter after it has time to grow.

Thanks again for all your help. Don't like cranberry wine enough to go through this again, next tiime I will just make liqueur with them.

It does however have a nice flavor and color with the addition of the Pomegranate juice. I think after it ferments out dry it actually may be quite swell. I hope I can get it that far.
Troy

That is some amazing S$$$! I pitched 1 sachet of Cuvee in about 12 ounces of 100/F apple juice. The yeast almost immediately settled to the bottom. Within a few seconds it started to roll and grow right before my eyes. It has been 30 mins but I am going to give it another 15 just because I can. I may be sold on starters from this point forward.!:D

During this time I took the stirrer to the must and aerate it pretty good.

I am still maintaining 1.095 a 74/F.

Will pitch the starter and report back later on this evening.

Did a little research on benzoate, sounds like that stuff will stop or prevent a fermentation just as easily as too much sulfites or sorbates.

Talk to yall later
Troy
:b

If you haven't pitched the yeast yet try adding some of the must to the starter first like 1/4 cup and let it go for an hour so the yeast might get better acclimated to the harsher conditons first.

I was just going to add it to the must before I checked back in, I think I may do that, but hell racer, the starter is going pretty darn good, would hate to change something that seems to be going pretty well

Wouldn'y hurt to do what racer said..

U still gonna get surgery

I was just going to add it to the must before I checked back in, I think I may do that, but hell racer, the starter is going pretty darn good, would hate to change something that seems to be going pretty well

Besides what I said before another reason would be that the yeastie boys also have more of a chance to multiply out somemore before jumpimg into the big pool.That could give them a better chance at taking hold and getting the fermentation going for you.

Its already swimming I added the apple juice starter withou the addition of the actauall must. Will have a report in the next couple hours.
Thanks Gang

Troy

Well I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you and your wine to be.Do keep us informed on your progress.

Well been almost 24 hrs since I pitched the starter and nothings going on. To say I am bumming would be an understatement. I am at a total loss on this. Would consider any other suggestions but don't know how long I am willing to watch a dead bucket of juice.

I am sold on this starter idea though it really had some good action working when it hit the must, obviously didn't do a damn thing but am convinced a sstarter is the way to go.

I still have Toms Hard Cider on deck, but don't want to give up and go on, at least not yet.

Sulking in my Sadness,

Troy

:(:(:(

Last edited:
How much must did you add slowly to the starter before adding it to the batch. Make a starter and at least triple the size of the starter by adding small amounts of the must to it a little at a time.

I used about 12 oz of aple juice for the starter and let it grow for an hour or so. I will try one more time with a strter made from the must as you have suggested.

So I will end up with three full packs of yeast in this wine! What are the implications of that?

Thanks for your support and patience.

Troy

I used about 12 oz of aple juice for the starter and let it grow for an hour or so. I will try one more time with a strter made from the must as you have suggested.

So I will end up with three full packs of yeast in this wine! What are the implications of that?

Thanks for your support and patience.

Troy

The first 2 packs of yeast are dead now (at least it sounds that way) so no harm should come from that.
Do your yeast starter like you did before. Then after at least 1 hour add 1/2 a cup of must to it. Wait at least another hour and add 1 cup of must to the starter.Keep going like that until you have a starter thats about triple in size to the original amount started. It would be even better to wait 2 hours in between additions if you have the time and patience.

I'll do just that racer. Can't get anymore yeast till tommorrow but I got this far.

I am almost scared to start this Tree Top Hard Cider if and when this cranberry comes off. The ingredients say only apple juice from concentrate and water. No Vitamin C or anything else. It says it is pasturized. Would hate to go through this frustration again, I have to much fun making my own to run into problems like this.

Thanks Again and Still,

Troy

Keep hanging in there and I'm still hoping you can get this one to start for you.

Okay. Did exactly as Racer suggested and even waited an hour between feedings. Started at 8 pm, at 230 am I pitched the starter.

Must was still at 1.095@74F.

The starter had a nice thick fizz but not alot of foam.

It is now 8 hrs later and it looks like it may be a go. The must has a "fizz", nothing agressive, but looks like this may go. I will give it the rest of the day before I start counting chickens but I am maintaining the confidance this batch will resurrect.

I was sure getting worry and still am somewhat.

Preciate evryones help and support.

I was worried the must had been sitting too long but tasted it before adding the starter and it tasted like it did the day it was "born". I was afraid it may have started getting sour. But it was fine. The wine Gods were on my side.

I am still hopping on crutches so I asked the neighbor to pick me up some yeast. I told him RS Premiere Cuvee, in the blue pack, he brought back RS Pasteur Champagne in a YELLOW pack, thats what I used for the starter. Seems to work pretty darn good. Just wondering who the wino is, yellow and blue don't even look the same!HeHe, glad he got the wrong one, seems to be working quite well.

Will report back later.

Thanks Again Gang,

Troy
:b
:D

Last edited:
:h I hope it keeps going strong and makes a good wine for you too.

Is it still going strong Troy?

meant to ask if you had saved some cranberries for the spiced liqueur?

Allie

36 hours after adding the starter it is screaming right along. A big sigh of relief! No I used them all for the wine. Still have plenty of raspberries. I can get plenty of crans if I need them. Don't think I'lll be making wine with them again though, that was a close call. Plenty of other things to make wine with.

Thanks for thinking of me.
Troy

Great, it was a good learning experince for you and you should never have to ask that again! :)

Latest posts

Back