No bubbles ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TENNISTOWINE

Reaction score
I am making cucumber wine according to recipe except it said to rack after 5 days when SG was between .109 and 1.1. I did not rack until 5 1/2 days when SG was .998. The airlock has been on for 1 day and there is no bubbling in the airlock. What is the matter? I thought it would be bubbling by now.

at .998 SG - your wine is probably done fermenting.

Check it again for a couple more days - if it is the same - consider the fermentation done - and proceed to your next steps.

Yep good chance it close to or done in this heat. If the hydrometer is the same for 3-4 days then stabilize.

Next step ?

Thanks. My recipe follow but I would like to know what the next step is? It says to leave in carboy and attach airlock and rack in 3 weeks - since it might be done fermenting now- I will check SG will I still leave in carboy for 3 weeks before racking again?

4 pounds cucumbers
3 campden tablets
2 oranges
2 lemons
7 cups sugar
pectic enzyme
nutrients
1 package wine yeast
water

Wash cucumbers. Leave skin on. Chop cucumbers and place in primary fermentor.

Wash oranges and lemons. Slice thinly and add to cucumbers. Stir in sugar and nutrients.

Pour 16 cups boiling water over mixture. Stir to dissolve sugar. Let cool. Add pectic enzyme.

The next day, check specific gravity -- it should be between 1.090 and 1.100. Add yeast. Stir daily for five days, until frothing stops.

Strain. Siphon into secondary fermentor and attach airlock.

For a dry wine, rack in three weeks, and every three months for one year. Bottle.

For a sweet wine, rack at three weeks. Add 1/2 cup corn syrup dissolved in 1 cup wine. Stir gently, and place back into secondary fermentor. Repeat process every six weeks until fermentation does not restart with the addition of syrup. Rack every three months until one year old. Bottle.

What kind of wine do you want? dry, sweet, flavor?
Next step is to stabilize 1/4tsp of Meta for 5 gal, or 1 campton tab per gal
let it start to clear.
I would not add corn syrup.

Latest posts

Back