WineXpert Next kit to make

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kojak

Reaction score
Hey all, I was looking around for my next kit to make and saw this one on the WE website: WE Ultra Premium - Lodi Ranch 11 Cabernet Sauvignon. Says Best in Show. Has anyone made this one yet or have any recommendations? Thanks!

I don't know exactly how they judge wines in some contests, so I don't know how that particular wine won best in show, unless it (a kit wine) is not judged along side fresh/frozen grape wines. Any judge would know the difference between a red kit wine and a red fresh/frozen grape wine.

I am not being critical, just saying there is a discernible difference.

I am sure it tastes good or it would not have won the contest. That particular red kit wine does not come with a grape pack, so compared to a like red kit that comes with a grape pack, it is going to fell thinner in the mouth, regardless of how it tastes. Compared to a fresh/frozen red grape wine, it is going to feel (mouth-feel) even thinner.

There are a few things a wine maker can do to give a kit wine a better "mouth-feel", that is to cause the wine to feel thicker in the mouth.

Bottom line - if you don't mind the wine being thin, I am sure it will be a good kit to make. If thinness is an issue for you, for a red wine always make a kit, which includes a grape pack.

Whatever you decide, I am sure you will be happy with the results.

Let us know what you decide to make.

I don't know exactly how they judge wines in some contests, so I don't know how that particular wine won best in show, unless it (a kit wine) is not judged along side fresh/frozen grape wines. Any judge would know the difference between a red kit wine and a red fresh/frozen grape wine.
But yet I believe that kit wines continue to get Golds (etc) in the Winemaker Mag contest where the judges worked blind. Maybe they know the difference, but still think it is an excellent/very good/whatever wine.

This kit won "Best of Show/Kit Concentrate" from the 2011 Winemaker Mag awards. However, the kit only placed third in the "Top 100 Wine Kits" for 2011 (top ranked red). Another entrant received a Silver for this kit. Perhaps that is why the lower ranking on the Top 100.

Steve

Thanks, it's probably is very good. 3rd out of 100 for 2011 doesn't sound too shabby to me. On the other hand I'm not looking for a thinner wine either. The one I'm working on now comes with skins but haven't had a chance to taste it yet. If there's a great red kit out there with or without skins I'd love to hear about it.

kojak:

Which one are you doing?

The top reds in that Winemaker Mag Top 100 were

3. Winexpert Selection Estate Lodi Ranch 11 Cabernet Sauvignon
5. Winexpert Selection Estate Stag's Leap Merlot
8. RJS Cru Select Brunello
10. RJS Cru Select Nero D'Avola

None of those came with grape skins. The first grape skin kits were three Cellar Craft Showcase kits at 13-14-15.

BTW, IMO there's lots of great red kits out there. Try some different ones from the better brands, and let them age.

Steve

Thanks, what are some better brands. I'm still new and working on my second kit which is a WE Chilean Malbec Shiraz with Grape Skins. I like the heavier reds and not sure what to try next.

But yet I believe that kit wines continue to get Golds (etc) in the Winemaker Mag contest where the judges worked blind. Maybe they know the difference, but still think it is an excellent/very good/whatever wine.

This kit won "Best of Show/Kit Concentrate" from the 2011 Winemaker Mag awards. However, the kit only placed third in the "Top 100 Wine Kits" for 2011 (top ranked red). Another entrant received a Silver for this kit. Perhaps that is why the lower ranking on the Top 100.

Steve

You know, I don't want to get into an argument about this. I don't have a love affair going with W.E. wine kits, nor do I have a problem with them in general. I have made a few, myself. One of my all-time favorite kits is their Chocolate Raspberry Port.

First off, 'This kit won "Best of Show/Kit Concentrate"' says they did judge it as a kit and not against a fresh/frozen grape wine.

Secondly, "Top 100 Wine Kits", also says it is being compared with "other kit wine".

So, the "blind judging" is still being done by category, which is exactly what I believe should be done and always hoped is being done. Thanks for bringing some clarification on this, as I wasn't at all sure.

I am not saying it is not a good wine. It obviously is a VERY GOOD "kit" wine, or it would not have won or done so well overall. What I am saying is it is a thinner wine than it would have been, had it come with a nice grape pack. I also am saying that if one wants a less thin wine, choose another kit that has a grape pack.

Some may not care at all, whether the wine is thin or not. But, if one does, one might choose another kit.

First off, 'This kit won "Best of Show/Kit Concentrate"' says they did judge it as a kit and not against a fresh/frozen grape wine.

Secondly, "Top 100 Wine Kits", also says it is being compared with "other kit wine".
Robie:

Perhaps you would like to read the intro to the article.
http://www.winemakermag.com/images/stories/2011winecompresults_rev6.11.11.pdf

Here is the process, as I understand it.

Each wine is scored on the UCD 20-point scale by a wine judging panel based on "appearance, aroma, taste, aftertaste, and overall impression". Presumably body is in the overall impression. Then the awards are given out based on the average of the judged scores. The entries are awarded Gold, Silver, Bronze, and Best of Show medals. There are 8 Best of Show, and a Grand Champion. So once the scores are known, the red wine scores are compared and one wins Best of Show (2010 a kit, 2011 a non-kit), the kit/concentrate wine scores are compared and one wins Best of Show, etc.

Then the magazine writes an article about the kits. They are not judged again for this article. The scores are used to calculate a score for each kit.

So the wine was judged as a wine, not as a kit.

Steve

Thanks, what are some better brands. I'm still new and working on my second kit which is a WE Chilean Malbec Shiraz with Grape Skins. I like the heavier reds and not sure what to try next.
kojak..

That's a Selection International. I have no experience with those kits as they are relatively new, but Tim V (from WE) says they should be ready to drink younger than their other grape skin kits. You probably shouls allow a minimum of 6 months though.

Other good brands? I haven't done a lot of grape skin kits as I tend to do the Limited Edition kits (might be my only chance at that particular wine).

I happen to like the Vineco brands but they have poor distribution in the US (Ken Ridge Showcase, Ken Ridge Founders Series). I have enjoyed the Cru Select kits from RJ Spagnols, and others speak highly of their grape skin brands En Primeur and Cellar Classic Winery Series.

Steve

kojak:

Just wanted to mention that the best thing you can do for your red wines is to ignore them for a couple of years (even the non-grape skin kits). For dinner last night we opened a bottle of Ken Ridge Showcase South African Pinotage that was started April 2009 and bottled Feb 2010. I do believe that it has improved a lot in those 2 years.

Steve

Latest posts

Back