Newbie. Recommendations Please!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer2Wine

Junior
Reaction score
Hey guys!

Im brand new to winemaking and Im hoping you all can help me get things started in the right direction. Ive been brewing beer for quite a few years now so Im pretty familiar with a lot of the science of fermentation and especially sanitation! :)

I know wine making is a totally different animal in many aspects though!

Im gonna start with a few kits before I ever think about getting into 100% fresh grapes-to-wine. I sell wine for a living so I'm pretty familiar with tasting high quality wines, so I would love to go straight to the best possible quality kits. From what Ive read, it seems like Winexpert and Cellar Craft seem to be known as the best around. Could anybody please give me some good info on whats known as the best quality?

Many thanks!

- Mike

You will want to go with the high end kits but remember unlike beer which many of us also brew here wine can take 1-2 years to be good. Me myself I prefer the RJS Cellar Classic Winery series and En Primeurs as IMO they give the best bang for the buck. What kind of wines do you prefer?

I am not super picky when it comes to grape variety. To me a good wine is a good wine... no matter what grape it comes from. But if I had to narrow it down...

When it comes to whites I tend to lean towards the Sauvignon Blanc. Mostly Bordeaux or California. Not too hot on the New Zealand types for the most part.

With reds I would say the same for much of it. Bordeaux and California (Cab/Merlot).... However... I have been known to really enjoy a good Cru Beaujolais, Syrah/Shiraz (Rhone,CA,Austraila)... Pinot Noir (RRV being my favorite area for pinot)... and even something more obscure like Carmenere.

For the most part, price is not an issue when it comes to selecting good juice. My only issues are what comes with the kit. Seeing as how I dont have any crushers/destemmers/presses... or much experience with a lot of the additives when it comes to wine.

Any of the 16L kits with a grape pack (Cellar Craft Showcase series) or grape skins (Spagnols Winery series) will turn out a very good wine that I think you will be pleased with. Remember that it will take at least a year to be good and two years to become great. Kits are a great way to learn the ropes and then you can make a foray into fresh grapes down the road once you have kit wine making down pat.

Thanks for the tip! That actually brings up another question now...

What exactly consists of those 16L kits? Is it a combo of juice and concentrate?

I'm a fellow newbie so I'm looking round for advice so the responses here have helped me greatly.

Welcome to the forum, DAZAROONEY. Good luck with your new obsession. There's a lot of help here. :h

Beer2wine
I cannot reccomend any kit because I have never did one to date all I have done are fruit recipes but what I will tell you is that what ever you do if you feel you have a problem with ask here on the forum and there will be someone here that will help you out.
Dazarooney
Welcome to the forum why don't you start a new thread and tell us a little about yourself what you like what you have made

I agree with Wade. RJS has great kits. Yo can't get any better than the RJS En Primier, white or red.

The WineXpert (W.E.) kits are popular. Their reds tend to be drinkable a little sooner because of less total dissolved solids (TDS). I don't know if any of the W.E kits still come with grape packs.

Of course whites will be drinkable much sooner than reds.

If you want really fast drinkers, make one of the summer or mist wine kits. Red or white, they are pretty much ready to drink as soon as they clear. They are all sweet, but served over ice, are fun sipping wines when the weather is warm. Every one I have made so far has been a party favorite. WineXpert makes them as Mist kits; RJ Spagnol's are Orchard Breezin'.

Sometimes when a person recommends one brand over another a small war is started, we all have our favorites. So I'll just say you should look at the larger kits, sometimes referred to as premium kits. They cost more, but the results are going to be much better. A kit with a grape pack is best. They will make better wines.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back