Newbie question on bulk aging

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KSU_Jim

Junior
Reaction score
Hello, all,

I started several small batches of strawberry, blackberry, muscadine, and several blends a couple months ago. I figure to make small mistakes this year and aim for better practices, etc, next season, and hopefully larger volumes in 2013. I have them in 1 and 3 gal secondary carboys. All have fermented dry and are clearing. TA has been adjusted fairly close to my targets. My question----Is there a downside to moving them to my garage for the colder winter months? I could place them off the floor on my workbench. Nothing ever freezed out there, but it may get into the mid thirties at times. I don't have a basement and it would get them out of the house for a few months. I understand they may not degas with the colder temps, but would it be beneficial, or possibly problematic to try this?

Thanks.

Jim, I would try to de-gas the wine first. This is better done at higher temperatures, like in the 70's. After that, I would stabilize the wine with K-meta and move it to your garage as you suggest. If the temperatures drop into the thirties for a decent period of time, you will have essentialy performed a "cold stabliziation" which could drop out some tartrate crystals.

Thanks for your help, Rocky. If it did drop out some tartrate crystals, wouldn't that lower my TA number?

Latest posts

Back