Newbie Mistake

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StoneCreek

Reaction score
I am quite sure I will make many mistakes that I can learn from during this new endeavor but I didn't think my wife would make any. That is until she came home from the grocery store yesterday and I realized she had purchased a gallon of apple juice. Since we almost never have apple juice in the fridge it never occurred to me to tell her to make sure she gets the kind in a glass jug. When she asked why that would possibly matter I explained that the extra buck or so on the glass jug brand would net me a 1 gal carboy. She sorta rolled her eyes and promised to never make that mistake again.

Last edited:
I find myself trying to buy thing in glass containters.

everything from Ice tea to juice.
I have actually stood at the store and asked my wife if she thought my stopper and airlock would fit in a snapple jar of green tea.

"how the hell would I know"!

Then I had to clean an entire shelf in the garage just for glassware!

IT NEVER ENDS!!!!!

I find myself trying to buy thing in glass containters.

everything from Ice tea to juice.
I have actually stood at the store and asked my wife if she thought my stopper and airlock would fit in a snapple jar of green tea.

"how the hell would I know"!

Then I had to clean an entire shelf in the garage just for glassware!

IT NEVER ENDS!!!!!

I actually laughed out loud. a snapple jar..

I actually laughed out loud. a snapple jar..

I am not embarrassed to say that I use glass bottles and jars of all sizes to hold additional quantities of fermenting wine to top up carboys after racking. My LHBS carries bungs of all sizes. I am sure some will fit Snapple jars (Never tasted Snapple, so I don't know)

I started by rubber stoppers at home depot and just drilll them out.

Once again I will be stealing one of James's great ideas!

Snapple is an ice tea companty out of NY.

I have also used Nantucket Nectar (juice) glass containers. I believe both fit the stoppers I have.

My LHBS only carries the 7's and 6-1/2's. As well as those weird inverted ones!

got to make due with what I can,

I started by rubber stoppers at home depot and just drilll them out.

Hahaha. I've already picked up a few of those solid stoppers from Lowes and have drilled them out. I've found that a flat bottomed forstner bit works best at not tearing up the rubber as long as you drill all the way through and into a piece of scrap wood to keep from tearing up the exit hole.

Hahaha. I've already picked up a few of those solid stoppers from Lowes and have drilled them out. I've found that a flat bottomed forstner bit works best at not tearing up the rubber as long as you drill all the way through and into a piece of scrap wood to keep from tearing up the exit hole.

Tim Vandergrift suggests freezing the stoppers before drilling them. I haven't tried it myself, but sounds like a very good idea.

Latest posts

Back