Newbi

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robrph

Junior
Reaction score
I just got the bug for home brewing and purchased the equipment and looking to start a batch. I was thinking of starting with a kit first before I got into fresh berries. Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Rob

Welcome to the group. There is absolutely no shame in starting with a kit. If you have never done it yourself, or if you have sat on the sidelines and watched others preform their magic it is time to take the stage.

I looked at growing my own grapes (what a disaster). Got involved with a grape growers group where at different meetings everyone brings samples. (twenty to fifty wines at a time) I have visited 20+ vinyards in Texas & Colorado. But I never so surprised as when last year while a group was on the Fredricksburg Wine Trails and I let them try my first Kit Wine. Seven people of the group putmy kit wine VDV White Zinfindel in their top 5 for the week end of over 40 wines tasted.

George is a great mentor and has guided me through 6 batches not a dud in the bunch I bottled a VDV Gewturzmiener last week look like a real winner. A second batch of VDV Piesporter went in the bottles today and I rackedfrom primary fermatation a Reisling Aslase that is going to be dinomite. I started a second batch of VDV Cabernet/Merlot that peoplewent nutz over. Don't just sit there you will really love it.

Welcome, and if you have the time for fresh fruit, great.

Myself, I can bearly keep up with everything else, so that's all I've done are kits. And to this point, it's what I enjoy doing, and so far everyone has enjoyed drinking. So I whole heartily endorse kits.

Welcome Rob. I hope this forum livens back up. I still have a freezer full of fruit to ferment.

It really depends on 2 factors as to whether to use a kit. Time and access to fresh fruits. It definately takes more time to make wine from fresh fruit as you have to prepare the fruit, then balance the sugar and acid. You also need to get the best fruit you can, as the better the fruit, the better the wine. In addition, the cost of fresh fruit can be more expensive than a kit. Most of my customers that make wine from fresh fruits have access to cheap fruit, i.e., Mulberry trees in their front yard, someone gave them 2 bushels of peaches, etc.

The great thing about a kit is that the preparation is done for you. All you have to do is add water and let it go. You also do not have to worry about consistency, as you will always wind up with a very good, if not great, bottle of wine. Starting with a kit will also help you learn about yeast, racking, stabilizing and fining. All steps you will need if you make wine from scratch.

The bottom line is that a kit is a great way to get started. Once you have the hang of the kits, you can branch off on your own.

If you have any questions, the users of this forum are very good with their answers. If all else fails, you can give me a call. My contact info is all over my web site.

Welcome Rob,

&nbs p; I
don't know when your thread started because I've been deer hunting alot
and not on the web. Kits are a very good way to get started. Also this
is the time of year to start talking to your local farmers about
getting fruit next summer possibly at a cheaper if not free price.

Chris

Aloha Rob, welcome to the forum! I concur with the previous comments on "starting with a kit." This way you are sure to drink some great winewhich you personally have made yourself! I am sure the yearn to make your own from "scratch" is there and will always be as well. I would suggest that when you experiement in doing so, that a 1-gallon experiement would be in order. This way, any investment would be at a minimum for starters. The great importance in all of your endeavors is keeping "accurate" notes of everything that you do. If your experiement turns out "great" than "nothing" is lost! Good luck and stay plugged in to the site. We all gain knowledge through sharing and support! It's a "constant" learning thing you know. Welcome again!

Latest posts

Back