New vines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vinniemac

Reaction score
I have new vines arriving today from double A I won't be able to plant until the week end. How should I handle them until the weekend?
Vinnie

Keep them in what they were shipped in, and don't let them dry out. I did the same thing last year. If you can, put them in the shade somewhere.

Baco Noir and Seyval Blanc in Utah

Keep them in the garage where they will stay a bit cooler. They pack the vines with a moist shredded paper that will keep them alright until then.

alternate is put them in buckets of water. it will hydrate the vines so that once you prune the roots and vine there will adequate moisture for the grapes to start growing.

I've gone with Double A in the past, but I just bought a dozen Cab Franc vines from Ohio Grapevine & Nursery. I have a similar situation to the original poster's. Planting was put on hold due to weather. When I spoke the rep at the nursery, he said that the vines would be fine in a bucket of water for up to a week.

My vines arrived this Monday and I will not be able to plant them until Friday...so they have been in a bucket of water since 5 p.m. Monday. I have changed the water every night, for whatever that's worth. Do you think they will be alright? Should I do something different for the next 24 hours until I can get them into the ground?

Well, I got the vines in the ground on Friday. I guess I'll just wait and see what happens with them.

I ordered my vines from Northeastern Vine Supply, and was not able to get them planted until almost a week later. All of them are growing. Just like others have said keep them moist and cool.

Latest posts

Back