New User

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BenFinland

Junior
Reaction score
Hi there, Ben here from Finland. As I am very new to wine making, never ever tried to do it, I thought to join this forum would be the best place to start. Haven`t got the first idea what equipment I need etc.

I like wine and would like to have a go as a hobby. Can anyone advise on what I need to start and can anyone recommend a decent tasting red and white wine product to purchase?

Do the home made wine kits taste any good?

Thankyou.

Hi BenFinland,

Welcome to winemakingtalk. A wine kit is a great way to get started in winemaking. Do you have a local wine supply store? There are equipment starter kits you can purchase, which will give you the basics to make a batch of wine.

Hi and welcome to the forum. You can start off with a kit or you could try grocery store juices to allow an easy start at winemaking then when you had a few batches under your belt, try something more advanced.

Hello Ben. Welcome.

If you are just getting started out there are some great videos that take you through how to make wine with a kit at fine vine wines (dot) com.
http://www.finevinewines.com/home-brew-resources.html

If you do not have a brewing store near you, you can buy starter equipment kits online that gives you most of what you need to get started. If all else fails, post your questions here; there are many expert wine makers here who can guide you through just about anything.

Good luck and welcome to the obsession.

Hi Ben, welcome. I am new to wine making as well and let me warn you, home wine making could be a slippery slope! My wine making has rapidly grown into quite a obsession - the more I learn, the more I want to do. I've only been on the forum for about a month or so and have found it to be an amazing resource.

There are a tonne of kits out there and it really depends on your taste in wines, as well as what kits would be available in your area. I have made a couple full-bodied reds that have turned out well and a few fruit wines as well. There's a section in the Forum where you can read up on reviews of kits, which is pretty helpful in deciding what to choose.

The link below has some of the basics for a Beginner Kit. It looks like a lot, but most of the equipment is a one-time purchase, pending that you take care of your equipment. Other items like sanitizer, wine ingredients and bottles are relatively inexpensive. (Keep in mind if you plan to make kit wine, you'll have all of the ingredients you need in the kit; anything in addition is up to you if you want to experiment.)

http://www.homebrewit.com/wine-equipment-kits.php?gclid=CLmazva7kbcCFU7hQgodCB0A0w

Good luck. Hope you enjoy!

Thankyou all very much for your kind help. If you dont know already wine in Finland is around 10 euros for an average bottle from the store. Beer is 36 euros for 24 small cans so suffice to say it has come the time to make my own wine. There are many online stores in Finland but very little actual shops. I will take time to examine the video links kindly provided and do my research. Will post up when my first batch is ready and share my results good or bad. Thanks once again for the help.

Welcome.
I started with a tool kit only, no juice etc..a bucket, a bottle, a few chemicals, and thought I was ready, then I joined this forum, then I was in trouble.
Not only have they helped me make wine, but have helped empty my pockets.
I started with one gallon of black berry tossed it in the garbage, only to find out, later, I did not have enough sugar in it.
Then after this forum answered questions, pointed me in the direction that I did not get before. I am making wine, man am I making wine.
2,3,4,5 th of blackberry.. Then I bought some 3 gallon carboys.
Blackberry/strawberry, a peach, a pear, two 6 gallons of dragon blood,
And it getting so that If I do not smell fermentation when i walk in the door, I panic.
These guys are great bunch....And Julie is smart as hell.

Yes I figured that to join a forum would be the best way as I can get it right first time hopefully and that way minimise wastage etc. Im still looking into the video links and I will post up in a week or two once I decide what ingredients to use for my first batch. Thanks for the enthusiatic postings it makes me more determined to make great wine.

Back