New member from Saskatchewan, Canada

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimberlywyatt

Junior
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have just joined the forum after searching for information on Haskap wine. I have been making wine for many years from kits and in the last few years have branched out to trying to create new fruit wines. I created a successful blueberry and chokecherry wine a couple of years ago and recently discovered Haskap berries. I was wondering if anyone has had success making wine from these berries and if you would consider sharing your recipe or advice with me.

Welcome to WMT!

You'll find that someone has made wine from anything you can think of, and from many things you have no idea exist. I recall recent threads on haskap -- search for that and you'll find threads.

Welcome to WMT

I am tossing this out for future haskap growers. (honey berry)

week one June; this is my first crop, ,,, when do you’all decide to pick? I am on the learning curve
View attachment 102049
Aurora: pH 2.96; TA 2.8%; 1.047; average 1.25gm/ 2.8cm per berry; smells like red raspberry; fruity taste; intense red color; fairly easy to press juice
HoneyBee: pH 2.83; TA 3.69%; SG sample too small; average 0.37gm/ 1.9cm per berry; smells like red raspberry; light astringent (tannic) taste, fruity, with unusual flavor ?cat pee?; intense staining red color; fairly easy to press; small seeds like raspberry or gooseberry

2022 crop from a WisVinter member: pH 2.99; TA 2.8%; 1.042; unknown variety

I have had three types of haskap wine 1) made with four pounds per gallon yielding a finished TA of 0.83% that got back sweetened to 1.011, 2) made with commercial haskap purée and limited water which yielded a TA of 1.29% that was back sweetened to 1.051 to balance the acid, 3) haskap blended with other to drop the TA to 0.55% and then back sweetened to 0.995. Of these my favorite was 100% haskap purée that got heavily back sweetened.

Looking at the fruit, it is a high acid and will be extended/ blend well, with a lower pH fruit as plum or mulberry to fight the acid. You are forced into running 3.5 pounds per gallon. As a style I would be blending with a white juice like grape to create a four liter primary that has a high TA and then heavily back sweeten the finished wine. As a style if needing to have five gallons I would definitely skip water and fill the carboy with a white juice as apple or grape. ,,, When can we taste it?

Latest posts

Back