New to wine making

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hehehe
smiley36.gif

I've made coffee wine the same way. It's a wine that's been aging 3 years. Wasn't my cup of.... tea? coffee??

Somehow coffee wine doesn't make my pallet pucker
smiley4.gif
, but keep us posted on the progress just the same
smiley2.gif
. Glad to see the coffee must coming to life!

Well, it's been going great.
smiley32.gif
I racked it to my secondary fermentation carboy today.I've got a pic here for you of the coffee wine in it's carboy.

2006-03-05_134534_coffe.jpg

I think I have a problem; I find myself thinking of wine making all the time. I can't get it out of my head. As I walk through the store everything I see I wonder if it would make good wine. I 'm reading books about wine making. I 'm going to mylocal winery and asking the winemaker questions. I even have planned a wine tasting trip ot the finger lakesnextweekend (I can't wait).I think I may be very sick.
smiley36.gif
So, I am going to need you all to lean on tohelp me with my sickness.I am thinking of makingone of those kits. Eachkit Ihave looked at saysit makes 30 750ml bottles of wine.Does this mean I need a 6-gallon carboy? I already have a 5-gallon can I get away with this one? If not, the only thing to do is to make a different wine in the 5-gallon carboy. Darn. As soon as I am done here I am going to start a peach wine andI will post some pics for you to see. Thanks for your help <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><O:p></O:p>

Michael <O:p></O:p>

Edited by: mjohn

Yes you will need a 6 gal. carboy for just about all kits except for the sweet or ice wine kits they are 3 gal..

Michael

I think you have the wine making disease. The only cure I know is to get more carboys [of different sizes] andmake more wine..

I think I have 28 carboys now..& nbsp;

here is the start of the peach wine. I have seven days to find my next wine.

2006-03-05_154802_Image012.jpg

2006-03-05_154857_Image013.jpg

I think i would smush them peachies up really good. Looks yummy !!!

Michael - Yes, squash the fruit inside your strainer bag for sure. Tell us a
little about your recipe for this batch too! It is good to have you on the
forum sharing your wine-making adventures.
smiley32.gif

Bill

I guess you can't see form the pic, but it I did mash up the peachs and plan to do some more mashing when I add the yeast. Bill thank you, I love it here.
smiley4.gif
I readall the posting everyday. I don't say much on other topics because... well,I don'tknow much yet. I got the recipe from a webcite MedPretzlgave me www.mywinerecipes.comhere it is
<TABLE cellSpacing=5 cellPadding=5 width=500>
<T>
<TR align=middle>
<TD width=125><B =a>Category[/B]
Fruit</TD>
<TD width=101><B =a>Color[/B]
White</TD>
<TD width=91><B =a>Measurement[/B]
US</TD>
<TD width=202><B =a>Vintner[/B]
geocorn</TD></TR></T></TABLE>

<B =a>Yield:[/B] 1 gallon

<B =a>Ingredients:[/B] 7 US pints Water, 1.5 Teaspoons Acid, 1 Teaspoons Pectic enzyme, 1/2 Teaspoons Energizer, 1 Campden tablets, 1/4 Teaspoons Tannin, 2 Pounds Sugar, 2.5 Pounds Peaches

<B =a>Methods:[/B] Keep your acid tester and hydrometer handy. As with all wild fruit the sugar and acid content varies greatly from year to year and even from one location to another. The recipe above is a general recipe to use which you may have to adjust. Directions: Wash peaches, remove stones and any brown patches, and weigh out correct amount. Mash and strain out juice in primary fermenter. Keep all pulp in nylon straining bag, tie top and place in primary. Stir in all other ingredients except yeast. Cover primary fermenter. After 24 hours, add yeast. Cover primary fermenter. Stir daily , check S.G. and press pulp in bag lightly to help extract juice. When ferment reaches S.G. 1.040 (usually 3-5 days), strain juice lightly from bag. Then syphon wine off into glass jug secondary. When S.G. reaches 1.000 (usually about 3 weeks), fermentation is complete. Syphon juice off sediment into clean glass container. Re-attach airlock. Syphon again in two months and again, if necessary, before bottling. Allow the wine to age.

<B =a>Yeast:[/B] Red Star Premier Curvee
<DIV align=center>
<CENTER>
<TABLE style="BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" borderColor=#111111 cellSpacing=5 cellPadding=5 width=500>
<T>
<TR align=middle>
<TD width="33%"><B =a>SG_start:[/B] 1.080</TD>
<TD width="33%"><B =a>SG_end:[/B] 0.990</TD>
<TD width="34%"><B =a>Abv:[/B] 12.2</TD></TR></T></TABLE></CENTER>

I also starteda rum pot from Georges recipe today too. I've never hadanything like it.
smiley5.gif
I hope it's good. MaybeIwill post a pic. Waldo I love your pic.
smiley32.gif
I would love to do something like that, but I have no idea how. Michael

mjohn, It's only a sickness if you admit to it. WARNING! If you admit to having a problem the next step is to want to change. NEVER admit to having a problem! This is fine! It keeps you out of the bars! Everyone always knows where to find you. You're at home with your babies! And yes! Go get some 6-gallon carboys! Buy 3 of them. Then you can have 2 batches of 6 gallon going at all times.

Waldo and the others are right, be sure you mush your fruits. Sometimes freezing first is a big help to extract all the juice you can from your fruits. Even overnight will make a big difference for you.

I'm looking for the perfect container for the summer Rumtopf this year. I may actually own one but will have to run some tests with some cheesecloth first. It's a hand made pot and I'm just not sure of it. I'm assuming that I need smooth edges to keep those pesky fruitflies out.
smiley5.gif

And remember, ADMIT nothing! You don't have a problem! No addictions here!

Hi There Michael

Welcome to the very addicting hobby of wine making,I make 6 gallon batches 1 five gallon and 1 one gallon, The one gallon is for toping off tasteing &amp; testing(mostly tasteing lol).I do the same as when i go to the Grocery Store i look for things to ferment. I started with 1-5 gallon and 1- 1 gallon carboys last April,Now i have 6 5gallon and 6 1 gallon Carboys. Good luck making wine
smiley32.gif

Harry

And by the way, I HATE shopping with Bert. I'm the regular errand runner and he's the hobbyest errand runner. He wants to look at everything and imagine wine from everything.

Did anyone else notice it's always the men who see things in the store a potential wines and it's the women who want to go in, get what needs to be got, and git out again?

No I didn't. I thought the women were the ones that always wanted to go
shopping. Outside of the grocery store to look for things to make wine out
of, and Best Buy I personally don't see any point in shopping for anything.
Best Buy does have its downside. You can't make wine out of electronics!

Hi Michael,

Welcome, welcome, welcome. You will find people here with all the experience you need to helpwithyour wine making . Don't be afraid to askquestions.

Wine making is very addictive. I find myself in the produce isles of grocery stores more now than ever in my life, as well as the local fruit stands
smiley36.gif
. "Wonder if those jalapenos would make good wine, or maybe those red plums?" No fruit or veggy is safe around me anymore
smiley4.gif
.Edited by: pkcook

PWP!

Of COURSE Bert would do all thatRESEARCH for YOU! You are the PRINCESS!

Bless his heart...he is just doing that sort of mindless scut work, figuring out what might work (ferment) and what might not, what new gadget that could HELP YOU out...to allow YOU to maintain your "PRINCESS"status!

Obviously he knows YOU are not only the bearer of the tiara, but the brains of the outfit,and that he'd only make a mistake if you had him run the errands -- buy that 8 oz package instead of the 16 oz -- the half-gallon, instead of the gallon -- the single instead of the economy pack -- I'm sure he knows that kind of error would only cause YOU worry, concern or consternation.

In a sense, what a prince HE is -- thoughtful...considerate...sensitive... I'm sure THAT's what drives him to spend those long hours doing these choresfor you, so you can get in and "get out" quickly with the really IMPORTANT stuff. ...what a guy....

You are SOOOO lucky!

smiley1.gif

By the way, Michael -- welcome. As you can see, you can TRUST the info on this site!

Well! I feel so ashamed of my non-seeing princess self and will have to banish myself to my suite of rooms for a while for a little princess think!
smiley2.gif
So glad to have an advisor out there who is looking out for me!
smiley36.gif
Not only is Montana Big Sky country, I think it's also Big Shovel Country! Well done!
smiley32.gif
Looks like Poor Bert has a new champion for his cause.

I didn't think a princess would know what a shovel is, much less what it could be used
smiley5.gif

Hey...us Minnesota gals know which end of a shovel is the business end!!!! Even the Princess probably scrapes the ice off her own windsheild...
smiley4.gif

Thank You OilnH2O :

Thank you, you really make me sound as good as I am...But really just trying to make it all work...but you can dish it out like that all you want...

Latest posts

Back