New to this, does this look right?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hvac36

Reaction score
Just moved from fermenter to carboy last night. It is a VR Liebfraumilch, just want to make sure all looks good. Lots of great info on this site....

DSCN0163[1].jpg

If you degassed it and providing you keep it warm it should begin to show signs of clearing soon.

Your temp strip reads very well. I have to bend down right in front of mine to read it and it is still dull. I wonder if mine could be not working right.

Last edited:
Dj it does not say to degas at this time.
Have to bend down to read mine also. Looking for better temp gauges myself..

Follow the directions but a wine degraded will clear incredibly faster than one that is not.

That looks like a 6.5 gallon carboy. You will shortly need something to top off the wine so I would start thinking about that. A similar wine is best and a smaller carboy is next best IMHO.

Dj it does not say to degas at this time.
Have to bend down to read mine also. Looking for better temp gauges myself..

If you are in hvac like your handle states, use your laser temp. gun. Point it at the carboy, pull the trigger and instant temp. Arne.

If you are in hvac like your handle states, use your laser temp. gun. Point it at the carboy, pull the trigger and instant temp. Arne.

Laser works great and I have a few of them on my van. :db I have an old vac pump that Im going to use for degassing as well. Not worried about it spraying oil as the vent is in the handle so I will hook up a hose to it to vent outside... :sm

Follow the directions but a wine degraded will clear incredibly faster than one that is not.

He is still a couple weeks away from the degassing stage, if he just moved from primary last night he still has a week or more of fermenting. I just moved a Kenridge Classic Pinot Grigio from primary last night and it looks exactly like this.

If I run temps say around 73 avg will the sg drop faster then say 70? When I transfered the other night sg was 1.010 checked it yesturday just cause and it was 1.004? Or just let it be for the 10 days it says to?

If I run temps say around 73 avg will the sg drop faster then say 70? When I transfered the other night sg was 1.010 checked it yesturday just cause and it was 1.004? Or just let it be for the 10 days it says to?

The warmer the must the faster the fermentation to some extent. Too warm and your yeast will stress. I try to ferment my musts around 65-70 though.

Back