New to planting grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vinniemac

Reaction score
I have 30 Plants coming next week This is my first time planting grapes.Just wanting to get some tips from experienced growers to avoid any problems.I prepared my beds and installed trellises last summer. Any advice would be appreciate.
Vince

Follow the directions that come from the supplier. A lot of the way you plant them depends on what type of vine you bought, such as potted or bare root, etc. In general you want a fairly deep hole and wide enough to accomodate the roots when spread out a bit. For bareroot ones, dig the hole a bit bigger than needed and then put a slight mound of soil in the center. Place the vine on top of the mound so it sprads the roots and they slope away from the center a bit. Backfill the hole and compress the soil slightly leaving a slight depression that will hold water when you water the vine.

Don't put fertilizer in the hole when you plant.

Good luck!

Thanks Grapeman I Ordered mine from Double A Vineyard. I got a bottle of Marquette wine from you It was very good. Some of the vines I ordered are Marquette.
Vinnie

Since you got them from Double A, they will probably have huge roots. Spread them out the best you can, but you may need to bend some sideways in the hole or you will have 4 foot holes. They usually have a little booklet comes with them to show how to basically plant them.

Glad you enjoyed the wine. You can do quite a bit with Marquette grapes for slightly different wines.

Some people do to make the roots fit in a smaller hole, but remember that the roots are the energy store for the new vine until it begins producing a net energy value. The more you prune off, the less vigorous the initial growth will be. If the roots are 5 feet long sometimes it is necessary to prune back some.

Mulch

One more question I'm only planting four 50' rows. should I mulch the rows after planting or not.
Vinnie

Latest posts

Back