New Smoker

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whoever gave it to you gave you something you will love, You will be OBSESSED with smoking like U R with Wine & Beer.

Yes he will! This is the rub I use http://www.buttrub.com/recipes.html and love it. We had it yesterday at my brothers house on some boston butts we smoked.

The smoker we made in our metal shop is portable and can smoke a whole hog almost anywhere if need be. I like the ones you guys have too because of their size.

I got my dad a masterbuilt smoker several years ago for Christmas. He always said it was the most expensive gift he ever got. I couldn't venture a guess how much it cost him to use that thing, but we sure ate well.

Fill it up when you use it, it dosen't take anymore smoke or time

Thats the thing, I just wish it wasnt electric! I am a wood woker so could get plenty of wood to keep this going at any time. I will be filling it up everytime or at least pretty filled. Im seasoning the unit as we speak!

The nice thing is that you don't have to but proprietary pellets or discs like the bradley or traeger. I have a decent supply of wood available as well, so it really cuts down on the cost. My buddy had a Bradley and has to order the wood discs for it since there are none locally available so it ends up costing him a fortune to use it.

That must blowhaving to buy discs, At least I can run down to KMart a few miles down the road and get the chips. They have Mesquite, Hickory, and Jack Daniels chips there. I bought all three bags fpor $12.50 approx.

OK, so far Ive had this thing on an hour and not seeing any smoke!!! Shouldnt smoke be billowing out of this thing? The instructions for this unit really blow. I soaked the chips for about 2 hours, had the meat marinating all night and left them out to get to room temp before putting them in. *Its very hoit in there but just isnt accumulating any smoke at all! The temp gauge on the door is reading 225 but I said screw it and turned the thing way up to see f I can get some smoke going. As Im typing this Im starting to see some smoke from cranking this thing up though but not much yet. Temp on door doesnt seem to be rising much so maybe tat was the problem.

I have this thing cranked up now and I must say it smells better then any thing else Iv e ever cooked. Im just afraid having this turned up like this will over cook the meat!!! Anyone out there that uses these have any comments as to how high you should have the thermo set at???

Whats the temp now? You have to drive off the water before you can make smoke. We just learned this in Wildfire 101 last week btw........

I don't have an electric heat element in mine. But do have a temp. gauge in the smoking chamber. I usually keep the temp. around 225ºF.

I've been smoking a pork butt for over 5 hours now. It's just starting to look and smell really good now.

After soaking the chips for 30-60 min turn the temp on high for 30 min. once smoke staret lower the heat to 200* or so

Well I think the small ribs are pretty much done but i smothered them in BBQ sauce now and threw them back in with some new oak, the bigger racks are getting there but need more time.

Thanks Tom, I had a feeling thats what needed to be don and winged it and guess I was right.

How long @ what rtemp R U cooking the ribs?

I did 4 hrs w/ dryrub and mop sauce @ 225*. Cover them in foil for another 3-4 hours @ 275*. Made them fall off the bone and real juicy.

I put then in at 3 and no matter what I put the thermostat at it reads about 220* unless I turn it way down on low. I have it set on about medium high.

Just switched from Hickory to Jack Daniels chips as the Hickory was spent!!!!

Latest posts

Back