RJ Spagnols New OB Kits?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SueMac

Reaction score
Irecently noticed whatappears to me as new flavors of OB Kits: Banana Pineapple Viognier, Tangerine Lemon Sauvignon Blanc, Orange Passion Fruit Grenache Rose, Acai Raspberry Cabernet Sauvignon and Mango Mint Chenin Blanc.
Hasanyone tried any of these?My LBHS hasn't carried any of these...I may ask if they can special order/stock as they are currently having a sale on OB kits (just $10.00 off but every bit helps!) Any comments??

They are very new to the point where i dought anyone has finished one yet but they sure sound dang good dont they?

I can already see myself relaxing in the hammock with a cool glass of banana/pineapple
smiley2.gif

TinaLouise

Hmmmm. I may have to make the sacrifice and buy one!
smiley2.gif

TinaLouise: Banana Pineapple Viognier is my first choice!

Anyone making one of these kits?

I sprung for the Mango Mint Chenin Blanc when George had the March Madness sale. I just need to find an empty carboy now...
smiley4.gif
I plan on adding a few pounds of sugar to it, not sure if I am going to add 1/2 the F-Pack into the primary or not. I was hoping somebody else might get one started first to comment on the sweetness of this kit.

Once I get it going I will be sure to make a post.

I just bottled the Acai Rasberry Cab. It is very good. It is similar to the Blackberry Merlot, which I like a little better. We have the Orange Passion Fruit Grenache started now.

Ye-Haaaa! I just got a Banana Pineapple Voignier kit! Can't wait to get it going!!!

I ended up getting the Acai Raspberry because of my daughter's preference for the Acai.
Please post here on how that banana Pineapple turns out, it's still the one I wanted and I'm debating on going back and getting it.

TinaLouise:

Debating about upping ABV a bit, adding 1/2 f-pack in beginning and then other 1/2 in secondary or just doing as directions dictate. How were you thinking of doing this kit??
I'm not partial to reds but I was considering Acai Cab Sauv. Pls post if you did anything special and your thoughts, too.

Kg233:
Any update on the Mango Mint Chenin Blanc? I like mango and mint, and I prefer white wines but I'm not sure of the combo so I'm anxious to hear of the outcome! Please post!

mint in wine just sounded odd to me, but I've heard other's that have tried a wine w/mint to say it was quite qood.

with my acai, I decided to leave it be and make as per directions. My reasoning was... I am making it for my daughter who really likes the taste of the acai and I wanted this wine to have as much of that taste as possible. I could have up'd the sugar in the beginning to up the alcohol in the wine but decided to again, just leave it be. If my local shop had had this for me to taste, so I'd know what the kit all by itself, would end up like, I probably would have up'd the alcohol (sugar) in it. I've done that before with other's and they've turned out pretty good. I just didn't want to tweak this one without first knowing what the kit was supposed to taste like. Anyways, those were my thoughts and reasonings to why I left the kit as is and I'm following the directions per/say.

It's funny you should say that you're just following the directions...that's always my mantra with cooking - follow the recipe exactly the first time and then tweak if needed for next time. How does one really know if you're making it better if you don't know what it's intended to be?
I'm glad that there are also drink recipes out there for these wines...that's always an option too. Thanks for your input.

Any hope you live near MA and we could swap bottles?

Unfortunately haven't had a chance to getthe Mango Mint Chenin Blancone started yet.
smiley19.gif
Since you asked, I will make an extra effort to get it going this weekend... I will make sure that I post back on the progress as well as final outcome. I like Mango and Mint myself - so it will be interesting to see what the combination ends up tasting like.

SueMac said:
Any hope you live near MA and we could swap bottles?

I can only wish!!
I'm on the coast of NC, I can't even put a bottle in the mail; federal offence!!! I guess with the south's past with running moon-shine that the gov't now want's to make up for loosing all that "rev-a-new"
smiley19.gif

Started my ARCS (Acai Raspberry Cabernet Sauvignon) tonight. After listening to discussion on here and considering options, for this one I added less than half the F-Pac. I added until the SG was 1.070. Plan on letting it sit over night then pitching yeast in the morning.
Wondering about what to do with rest of F-Pac before it is added in 2 weeks. I usually just burp out the air and recap. For this one I also put in fridge as amb temps are headed to upper 70s over next week.
Anyone heard anything about spoilage of open F-Pacs?

Finally started the Mango Mint Chenin Blanc today
smiley32.gif
. I added an extra 4 cups of sugar (as a slurry), which boosted my SG to 1.070. I opted not to use 1/2 the F-Pack this time. I will make another post withinthe nextmonth or so to let you know how it turns out.

I am drinking on the Orange Passion Fruit Grenache, pretty good stuff! SG was 1.080 when I started. Ended around 11% ABV. It is very good. I usually end up with an abv consistent with a regular wine on these and it turns out wonderful. Just my liking though!

Just bought the Banana Pineapple Voigner and will be upping the abv to around 1.080. This 1 sounds great along with the Acai!

Latest posts

Back