New member - Indiana

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lmshelly

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pharmacist by day, aspiring vintner by night. Tried my hand at growing grapes for the first time ~7 years ago (gewürztraminer) without any experience and it went as well as you might expect. Between climate issues and fungal takeover ended up pulling up the crop (27 vines) and going with a more cold-hearty red varietal - marquette. Year 4 for these vines and the fruit looks great! Will have to forgo harvest this year, though, since I didn't read the fine print on the fungicide label (mancozeb with a 66 day PHI). Looking forward to being part of the community and learning from everyone.

Attachments

• IMG_0014.jpg
    IMG_0014.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0010.jpg
    IMG_0010.jpg
    531.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Pharmacist by day, aspiring vintner by night. Tried my hand at growing grapes for the first time ~7 years ago (gewürztraminer) without any experience and it went as well as you might expect. Between climate issues and fungal takeover ended up pulling up the crop (27 vines) and going with a more cold-hearty red varietal - marquette. Year 4 for these vines and the fruit looks great! Will have to forgo harvest this year, though, since I didn't read the fine print on the fungicide label (mancozeb with a 66 day PHI). Looking forward to being part of the community and learning from everyone.

Welcome Shelly! I'm an ex-Hoosier turned Wisconsinite and pharmacist as well. When did you apply mancozeb? Could you just give your Marquette some longer hang time to get past the 66 days?

Welcome Shelly! I'm an ex-Hoosier turned Wisconsinite and pharmacist as well. When did you apply mancozeb? Could you just give your Marquette some longer hang time to get past the 66 days?
Unfortunately applied about 3 weeks ago.... so would still have to wait 40+ days.

Paging @Rice_Guy !

Do you know if the PHI number is based on decay rates or just average time to wash it off the grapes? Is the chemical on the surface or in the grape?

I’m wondering if you could get out the hose and wash the grapes down really well, or literally wash the clusters after picking with a gentle soapy mixture then a few clean rinses?

I guess I’m asking if there are commercial processes for cleaning fruit that could be applied by the home grower?

Last edited:
Do you know if the PHI number is based on decay rates or just average time to wash it off the grapes? Is the chemical on the surface or in the grape?
I’m asking if there are commercial processes for cleaning fruit that could be applied by the home grower?
I don’t know, that would be in the registration filing papers. A guess would be that it is topical since the label does not indicate systemic action/ in the humid mid west we can have several doses as at bud break > flowering . . . Imodeclopred the insecticide would be an example of a systemic.
There isn’t a commercial process for removing a pesticide. Legally the vendor and buyer of such equipment would be put in jail if done in the US. There are organic lecithin or soap processes on the market. With a 60 day PHI I wouldn’t trust washing, ,, this is a heavy duty chemical when compared with Benolate that could be sprayed on produce in the delivery truck or sulfur.

I don’t know, that would be in the registration filing papers. A guess would be that it is topical since the label does not indicate systemic action/ in the humid mid west we can have several doses as at bud break > flowering . . . Imodeclopred the insecticide would be an example of a systemic.
There isn’t a commercial process for removing a pesticide. Legally the vendor and buyer of such equipment would be put in jail if done in the US. There are organic lecithin or soap processes on the market. With a 60 day PHI I wouldn’t trust washing, ,, this is a heavy duty chemical when compared with Benolate that could be sprayed on produce in the delivery truck or sulfur.
Yeah that’s what I figured… just thinking out loud. Without certainty it’s nothing to fool around with.

If I were an organic chemist with a lab at my disposal I might experiment just to see.

I noticed that 66 day warning just before my last spray!!
On the other hand, I have an abundance of black rot - hoping to eke out a little harvest!
'To spray or not to spray - that is the question....'

Latest posts

Back