Cayuga White (and new member)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spaniel

Reaction score
I've been making wine since 2001. In the "old days" it was various fruit wine, up to 180gal/yr. Good times.

In 2007 I finally got my own land and put in vines (central Indiana, 15 miles west of Indianapolis). 2011 was my first year of production, a drought year, 3gal of Marachel Foch and 5gal of Cayuga White. I have 20 vines each of Cayuga White and Marachel Foch, and 18 younger vines of Oberlin Noir.

I am harvesting the Cayuga White tomorrow...about 3 weeks earlier than normal...looks like a bumper crop as I watered them through the sever drought. I lost about 6 of my 68 vines, it's the 3rd year of drought here and I did not irrigate the first 2.

Any advice on making Cayuga White appreciated. Last year I pressed straight to juice, no skin maceration, and fermented at 55-60 degrees in a kegerator. Complete fermentation took 2-3 months but the dry wine turned out pretty well. I have read mixed opinions on leaving in the skins on Cayuga.

This year I am thinking ~18-24 hr skin maceration before pressing. Just looking at the vines, I think I may get up to 10gal of wine this year. If I get 2 full 5gal batches I will leave one dry, and back-sweeten the second a bit as my wife likes it semi-sweet.

I will leave the red varieties hang a bit longer. The yield is not nearly as high on them, I will be happy if I get one 5gal batch combining both varieties.

Welcome spaniel. The Cayuga will have a more pronounced flavor and if you leave on the skins longer, especially with pectic enzyme, it will be stronger yet.

What brix did you harvest at?

Welcome spaniel. The Cayuga will have a more pronounced flavor and if you leave on the skins longer, especially with pectic enzyme, it will be stronger yet.

What brix did you harvest at?

I will probably stay light on the pectic enzyme for the skin soak then, but add more once I'm in the primary.

I know this is heresy but I have not measured Brix yet. I'm harvesting yet tonight; I know AM picking is better but I'm on Daddy duty tomorrow so it has to be tonight. I simply did not have an opportunity to harvest earlier than now (so measuring was pointless). Also, I know that from my experience last year, given how ripe they look they may rot quickly if I let it rain on them again (which may happen later this weekend). I had to throw 1/3 of them away last year because I was chasing ideal Brix and we got some rain, and within 24hrs they started to get rot.

Back