need some help, new batch turned sweet to dry?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have no idea what your talking about. people need to remember that they are responding in the NEWBIE forum ;)

alwayswhining, everyone on here is trying their best to help you but it is becoming more apparent that you know nothing about winemaking. I do not mean to be rude, just stating a fact. It is very difficult to help someone if they have no idea on what anyone is saying or no idea on how to make wine. The best advice I can give you is check out the tutorial section and/or Jack Keller's site at http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/ and learn the basics or at least understand some of the things members are suggesting to you.

Good luck with your wine making.

my apologies, i thought this was the "beginners wine making forum" where it states clearly "If you are new to wine making and have questions about how to get started ",:snta

my apologies, i thought this was the "beginners wine making forum" where it states clearly "If you are new to wine making and have questions about how to get started ",:snta

Let's don't start off on the wrong foot shall we?

It is a cold time of the year. What is the temperature of the room it is in? If it is below about 65F any fermentation will just about stop. If it is cold like that see if you can warm it up to about 75. Try putting it near the furnace or some other warm spot and keep it off any cool floor. You may have also had too much sugar when you began and we have no idea about that without a starting specific gravity. If it is still at 1.030, it should still taste very sweet. There are a lot of questions here that keep us from being a big help. Sorry. I hope the next batch goes better. You can ask questions about what you should be doing before you begin.

Let's don't start off on the wrong foot shall we?
i thinkj i will try a different forum, you clearly posted this a beginner forum for first time makers and yet your on my case for not knowing wtf im doing. all the members seem very helpful, but you seem to have a over inflated sense of power that doesnt like the fact that im new to this asking questions in the proper forum :br thats too bad because the place seems great.

from a person that OWNS 3 forums, the biggest being 17,000 members strong and running since 1998, bye bye im sure theres a nicer option out there .

how to get starteds[/quote said:
Now my 2 cents....I think a key here is "how to get started". It is hard to "fix" something without having all the information...whine already started, wanted a fix, but not enough information was given to give a fix! I have always appreciated the comments and suggestions I have received from this forum, and I'm very new in this wine making venture...most of my knowledge has come from taking the time to read many of the past threads and not relying solely from asking questions. Especially when I began, I found I did not have enough knowledge to ask the right question!! Thanks, Julie, and all the rest for the wonderful help I have received and will continue to receive.

Well, that escalated quickly. If you are still here, I would recommend you read up some background knowledge and ask some questions. The link Julie gave is a good starting place.

alwayswhinning,

The name seems appropriate. With your patience level i suspect you will have a hard time making good wine, or is it whine. In order for people to help you, you really need to take a more time to try to understand what they are saying (google). Coming off like you did will get you very little help no matter where you go.

Last edited:
Before you attempt to try something you really ought to have some understanding first. Its very hard to fix something that we dont know whats wrong with it. Please give us a more detailed description of exactly what you did, what temp its at, what sg it was ag when it stopped etc.

alwayswhining you have to at least put a little footwork into the basics before just throwing something in a bucket and then asking for help. I understand your frustration but you have to understand the same goes for members here who are trying to help.It's kinda like trying to learn to spell without learning your ABC's 1st.
I would suggest lesson 1 being to learn how to read your hydrometer. Use it from beginning to end and it will help yourself and others in figuring out some problems that may arise (such as the one you're questioning)
see attached photo to learn how to read it. Have patience with us and we'll try to do the same :b

DSC04767.1 [DVD (PAL)].jpg

Without knowing your starting # and what yeast you used I'm afraid we probably can't help you. If the starting # was very high and the new yeast you used was not designed for a high starting specific gravity (SG) then the alcohol has exceeded the yeasts alcohol tolerance and this wine is stuck where it is but I have to say that at 1.030 it should he very sweet as that means it has a lot of residual sugar in it. The only thing I can think of is that it had a high starting SG and she is tasting a lot of alcohol and its hiding the sweetness. Given lots of time the higher alc should mellow out and the sweetness will be perceived more. You will need to add potassium sulfite (K meta) and potassium sorbate to help prevent the wine from fermenting more at a later time. That being said we need yo know what temp this wine is at as if I its too cold that is what stopped it and regardless of if you add these 2 chems to stop it from fermenting t most likely will as these chems are to prevent the yeast from multiplying and not t to stop a fermentation that is stunned . So like said earlier we need more info please.

Back