need some help, new batch turned sweet to dry?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

alwayswhining

Our first batch went great, i made the wife mango wine. It stopped fermenting 2 weeks ago, she taste tested it and said it was amazing n sweet. now its been 2 weeks, its crystal clear and last night i racked it and she had a sip and she said now its dry, very dry :slp is there a way to fix it or sweeten it back up?

How do you know it had stopped fermenting 2 weeks ago? Do you have a hydrometer and took readings with it?

Let me go ahead and assume you do and the reading is somewhat lower than 1.000. You can add Potassium Sorbate, to prevent refermentation and sugar to sweeten it with. You will probably want to also add Potassium MetabiSulfite to preserve it somewhat.

Hi alwayswhining,

welcome to winemakingtalk. I am assuming this was your first batch of wine? For you next batch, get a hydrometer and use that to determine when a wine is done fermenting. When your wife tasted the wine since it was still sweet, it was not done fermenting.

i checked it with a hydrometer and i guess its not done, but it stopped bubbling 2 weeks ago. so why is the sweetness going away? and what is sorbate?
thanks

Unless you stopped fermentation with a big dose of Sulfite and Sorbate it will just keep on fermenting until all source of food is gone.

The sweetness is going away because yeast eat the sugars in your must and convert it to alcohol.

You should not be adding sulfite or sorbate, until it is done fermenting. They will not STOP an active fermentation. They will keep it from starting back up. You want to let it ferment, until the hydrometer reads the same about three days in a row. That reading will more than likely be 0.99X where X can be anything from 0-8. Generally, most of mine get down to 0.994.

This means all the sugar has been converted to alcohol and carbon dioxide. Once that happens, you will want to wait about a week, then you want to add potassium sorbate, the package you will buy it in will tell you how much to add. Pour some water into something, then add the potassium sorbate (also called K sorbate and just sorbate). You will also want to add some potassium Metabisulfilte (also called K-Meta or just Meta). Add the same way, the amount will be on the package. Both depend on how much wine you made.

You will want to let this set for a bit, at least a few weeks, maybe months. Then you will want to add some sugar, how much? I can't tell you. What I do, is slowly add some, I pull some wine out and add sugar to it, stir really well, then add back. Stop, when you first think it might be close to sweet enough. Wait a day or two and taste again, it will taste sweeter. Wait again for a week or two at least, just to make certain it doesn't referment, then bottle.

I will add a couple of things that I have learned from experienced folks on this forum and other places on the interwebz:
You mentioned your wine is clear; so you can add sorbate, the standard dose is 1/2 tsp/gallon. Many folks will tell you not to add the sorbate until the wine has cleared.
You can backsweeten with juice or f-pacs instead of sugar. Look for f-pacs on this site. You may cloud the wine again with an f-pac as compared to sugar.
You do not have to bottle soon after backsweetening. I used to do that, but now I backsweeten, let it sit for a while, them come back to it and taste it few more times over several weeks to be sure I like the taste before bottling.
Store sorbate in the fridge with your yeast.

ok this batch seems stuck? or going backwards? its currently at 30 for 3 weeks now, and not a single bubble in the air lock for 1.5 weeks. so did i rack it wrong and stop the fermentation? does it need some yeast to restart it?

What do you mean by "30 for 3 weeks" and do not depend on bubbles in an airlock to know what is going on with your wine. Use your hydrometer.

on the SG scale its at 30, its not working towards 0 its staying at the same place

this scale but at 30

coopers-european-lager-kit-hydrometer.jpg

AW,
The reading and pic tell me that it is neither clear nor dry. If it is unchanged at 1.030 for three weeks, it might be stuck.
Do you know what the starting gravity was?
What yeast did you use?

The reason I ask is that there is a (remote) possibility that if you started with a high SG and you used a yeast with a low alcohol tolerance, and you may have reached the alcohol tolerance of the yeast.

this is not my pic it was just an exqample to show what scale i was looking at. yes its been in the same spot for almost 3 weeks. no i dont know the beginning #.i used the red star green packet.

Back