NEED HELP withChocolate Raspberry Port

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dojack

Junior
Reaction score
Started this kit on 11/29 with sg at 1130, chapitalised on 12/4 sg was at 1.002. Today it is at 1.004. Have I let it burn too much sugar. Should I go ahead and add additives and fpac. THank you so much for your help in advance.

First - take a deep breath! Everything will be fine, yours will just have a bit more alcohol. Sometimes the SG will drop a little lower - not unusual just one of those things. Before you do anything more make sure the SG is stable for 2 or 3 days in a row and then proceed according to the directions.
VC

VC,

Thank you so much! Just what I needed to hear, went into panic mode without thinking it out. Thanks so much for your fast reply, I certainly appreciate it.

DonnaJ

Ports are usually higher alcohol anyway, so the wine will be just fine even if it dropped more sg than you expected.

Best to let the yeast do their thing till they quit, and not try to stop them -- pretty much you can't stop them anyway, sorbate will inhibit their reproduction but not kill what's already alive and the sulfite isn't going to stop an active fermentation reliably either.

I second what Vcasey said - wait until the sg has stopped changing for 2 or 3 days in a row, then add the fpack and finings.

You will have a fine wine when this is all done.

Thats funny, most people are having exactly the opposite problem with this kit!

Latest posts

Back