Need help with edelweiss grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brigitte

Reaction score
Hi!
I posted over in beginners wine making and then realized maybe I should post here. Anyhow.... Here is my dilemma:

I picked my Edelweiss grapes today and have the following numbers

Brix 14.5

pH 7.1

TA 4.3 g/l

I am very new at this. I think I should have harvested grapes sooner but just got my meters in today to test TA and pH and Brix. And the birds found my grapes this morning so I harvested and have them on skins still in clusters chilling in fridge.

I got the sample by crushing a few grapes taken off a variety of clusters.

My questions are is the pH too alkaline to attempt wine?

Is the TA too far off? I read in vines to wine book that I would need an exceptionally high amount of K-meta to kill off unwanted yeast , etc with a pH so high (alkaline)

I realize I will need to add sugar and tartaric acid. But can I make a wine with these grapes ?

Does anyone have any advice ?

Thanks so much.

I seriously doubt the pH reading of 7.1. Did you calibrate the meter with fresh reagents? I would double check that first. If calibration is off, so are both the results. With a brix of 14.5 the pH and TA should be fine for Edelweiss. Try and take a pH reading of water and it should come out somewhere between a pH of 7 and 8, if much higher then you know the meter is not calibrated correctly.

Thanks grape man. After sleeping on it I was wondering the same thing. Surely the pH is off. 7.1 would be water range.

Latest posts

Back