Need help: Pull early or late?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DryFly

Junior
Reaction score
I have to go out of town tomorrow and do not know what to do with my wine. I currently have a Cabernet fermenting at 1.030 (started at 1.090). It has been in Primary for 4 days. Should I rack it to the secondary or should I wait until I return on Sunday? The instructions say 6 to 8 days or 1.020. Thanks in advance.

If this kit has a grape pack then I would make sure the lid is snapped and under airlock and let it go till you get back. You want to maximize the contact with the grape skins. If no grape pack then you can transfer early to carboy.

If you do transfer early at 1.030 then be sure to leave it down around the lower shoulder of the carboy or it will likely foam or explode out the airlock, depending on the kind of yeast.

If you have a grape pack and it is in the 'sock' that comes with many kits, weigh it down somehow to keep it under the surface. I was in a similar situation a few years ago and simply tied the sock to the handle of a sanitized coffee mug. That did the trick and the wine turned out great.

And as has already been said, lock down the lid and get an airlock on it.

I would leave the wine in the primary with the lid snapped down and the fermentation trap installed. The wine will still be producing a positive pressure of CO2 over the next several days, displacing any air that might be in your primary, thus giving your wine a level of protection.

I would advise that, when you get back, you do not waste any time and rack to your secondary as soon as possible.

Thanks guys for all the help. Unfortunately I followed the instructions for greater color and released the dried grapes into the fermenter (not in the sock/bag). I'll see if I can get the wife to give it a good stir tomorrow and Saturday and rack on Sunday.

Latest posts

Back