Naturally degassing and other???

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captainl

Reaction score
Hey guys. I just bottled a WE Luna Rossa kit that I started January 2011. I degassed it a little with a drill mounted stir rod initially. Then let it sit bulk aging until about 2 weeks ago(racked and added k meat about every 3 months). So close to 10 months total aging. We just tried a bottle and the weird thing is it is still slightly carbonated?? I don't remember it being this carbonated when I bottled it a couple of weeks ago?? I thought (wrong) that the CO2 would work its way out over aging, especially because the temp was probably around 75+ degrees for 5 months (Texas ugh).

Couple of questions also. I added 1/4 tsp k meta at bottling. How long do you guys usually wait until drinking a wine that has the kmeta added at bottling. I'm not sure if i'm tasting kit taste, too much k meta, or bottle shocked wine. But there is a slight taste that makes me go hmmm. It has only been 2 1/2 weeks since we bottled and added k meta. thanks. Other than that it taste pretty darn good.

Thanks

Mike

Sounds to me that it was not degassed enough. Even Texas heat didn't help. That kit is known for being an early drinking red so it should be good to go by now. You have plenty sulfite, perhaps too much. Sulfite will smell and taste like sulphur. CO2 will tingle on the tongue. Try this. Get a Vacuvin and open a bottle and try to vacuum the bottle as normal and see if you get a rise of gas bubbles up the bottle. You may have to pour off a small bit first. If it does gas then keep pumping until you don't see anymore and then taste it again. CO2 will definitely affect the taste which is why degassing is so important in kit wines. It will not workitself out if its been bottled and corked. You can only degas each bottle when opened or open them all up and try and degas the whole lot once more.

This is why I use a vacuum pump to degas my wine. It has a gauge on it and this way I KNOW my wine is degassed or not.

Well it definitely degassed better than my last two kits. Those where degassed with a stir rod and only aged for 3 months before getting bottled. I can tell there is minimal CO2 but my wife can't so it's not too bad. I was just thinking that bulk aging would have taken care of it better. I'm not interested in dropping $100 bucks on a pump right now but might have to in the future. Plus I am using better bottles. I might have to get a 6 gallon glass carboy and use the vacuvin first. My next investment will be to build a temperature controlled section in the corner of my garage.

Does anyone here rely on bulk aging for degassing? How long do you usually age for? Thanks. I just started a RJS super tuscan!

Kits just do not want to degas on their own no matter how long you bulk age especially reds. Some whites will degas by themselves but its always a good idea to stir well with a mix stir then use a vacuvin at least to pull the rest of the CO2 out. The vacuvin works great, its just a lot of pumping by hand that can get tiresome.

Hi,
Im a mechanic and use a kinda free (just gaz consumption, and hose) vacuum source, my car engine. Its kinda funny looking having the hose sticking out my window while degassing but sure works good for me! But it could be done only if you know what your doing under your hood =p

Today I racked my RJS Super Tuscan and I was surprized on how good it tasted. Its been ageing now for 10 month's. After new years I will filter and then bottle it.

You can't rely on bulk aging to degas. It could set there for years and unless something comes along to force out the CO2, it will stay put. Temperature has a lot to do with it; if the wine stays cool (below 70F, it won't give off much CO2 on its own.

Just decant your wine for a couple of hours before you drink it. (Shake it around a couple of times while it is in the decanter.) That should take care of the CO2, bottle by bottle.

Even if you had degassed fully, decanting will almost always help a homemade wine. Smell the wine when you first put it in the decanter. Smell it again in a couple of hours and you likely will get a lot more and a lot better aroma.

This is why I use a vacuum pump to degas my wine. It has a gauge on it and this way I KNOW my wine is degassed or not.

I just bought one and started using it. The manual hand pump is $30 at Pep Boys. The notion of whipping your wine with a rod just sat with me wrong.... oxidizing and flinging juice all over the room are among the reasons I didn't do it. Pull some vacuum, watch the gas leave, and KNOW you're ready to bottle. Besides, if it's clear and degassed, then the bulk aging phase can end and free up that carboy for another batch.

Last edited:
I had the same experience with my first kit red. With mine I'm sure it was the k-meta I was tasting, and that DID go away after a few weeks.

Some people, me included can taste sorbate. All kits have it as an add. The k meta taste will go away but the sorbate taste, if you can taste it, won't

You can't rely on bulk aging to degas. It could set there for years and unless something comes along to force out the CO2, it will stay put. Temperature has a lot to do with it; if the wine stays cool (below 70F, it won't give off much CO2 on its own.

Just decant your wine for a couple of hours before you drink it. (Shake it around a couple of times while it is in the decanter.) That should take care of the CO2, bottle by bottle.

Even if you had degassed fully, decanting will almost always help a homemade wine. Smell the wine when you first put it in the decanter. Smell it again in a couple of hours and you likely will get a lot more and a lot better aroma.

Robie, you touched on something regarding temps while aging. I use a Fermwrap during fermentation and after that I take it off the carboy. But, while racking and then aging for a month or two, it's at room temp (~65F). Should I keep the temp up right up to degassing and bottling?

I wouldn't. Aging begins as soon as fermentation is over. Using vacuum is going to be the least damaging way to force a degassing, otherwise naturally degassing will take weeks/months at 55F. Once a wine is clear and degassed it can be bottled, so you don't have to deal with a large heavy container of wine as much.

Here's a nice piece on aging.

http://www.wineperspective.com/STORAGE TEMPERATURE & AGING.htm

I wouldn't. Aging begins as soon as fermentation is over. Using vacuum is going to be the least damaging way to force a degassing, otherwise naturally degassing will take weeks/months at 55F. Once a wine is clear and degassed it can be bottled, so you don't have to deal with a large heavy container of wine as much.

Here's a nice piece on aging.

http://www.wineperspective.com/STORAGE TEMPERATURE & AGING.htm

Thanks for the link. And, it's the first time I've ever heard of microwaving your wine! :D

The temperature needs to be up (72-76F) when you degas. Once you finish that, you can/should let the temperature drop back into the 60'sF, if you can easily get to that temperature. Let it age at that lower temperature if possible.

The temperature needs to be up (72-76F) when you degas. Once you finish that, you can/should let the temperature drop back into the 60'sF, if you can easily get to that temperature. Let it age at that lower temperature if possible.

Thanks, Robie. Not to belabor the point, but are you saying that the temp needs to be kept in that range after fermentation and right up to degassing, or just boost it up there when ready?

Too late this time as I degassed yesterday and bottled. On the bright side, my wine cellar in my basement is a cool 54degrees F during the winter.

Cheers!
Bob

Yes, it should be kept at 72-74 degrees through the degassing and clearing stage. This can take several weeks depending on the wine or just a few days. Procrastination is once again your friend here. It will clear faster and more through the warmer it is.

Just remember nothing likes to move when its cold, including particles settling out in a carboy of wine.

I agree, the colder it gets, the more apt the wine is to hold CO2. Clearing on the other hand goes faster in the cold... but you need to hold it at very cold temps for it to matter much.

Back