Name that floaty

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jc5066

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByWine Making1446861572.671366.jpg

What is it?
It's a WE white cranberry kit that I goofed on and apparently didn't have fermentation stopped when I added the fpack. So I ended up back sweetened with concentrate later. I let the wine completely clear then filtered with a number two filter.

Now there is sediment in the bottom of the bottle and when it gets sloshed these particles float.

It does not seem to effect the taste or smell of the wine.

Nope. I wish I had a dollar for every time I filtered and fines got through the filter....

I agree with Mike. Since it fermented more after adding the fpac it created more fine lees. A normal filter does not get all the fine lees out. You need a smaller size filter such as a 1 micron or even .45 micron filter which isn't available with the type filter you use.

Will cold crashing help eliminate the fines?

Thank you all for the replies.

Did you ever add Sorbate to your wine? Didn't see it mentioned anywhere. Unfortunately you have to live with this unless you open them all and dump back to carboy let the fines settle again to the bottom. Rack, filter with a 1u filter then recork.

You can't cold crash fines. You have to wait for them to settle out on their own in time.

The one thing that DOES work ,,, TIME!!! Everything that shows up in the bottle after some time will do the same in a carboy ,, where it can be taken care of before you bottle!:slp

@Jc5066
You have the choice of living with it or unbottling and fixing it. For me, if I am giving any away, I would fix it. Did you use any clearing agents like superkleer?

Latest posts

Back