My New Smoker in The Works

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The smoke stacks are not in the final resting place , left them just sitting on top of box , when I am done doing the final touches inside the box they will extend into the box .

Here`s my smoker 95% done , just need to finnish coal basket . Below is a couple pics of it on my deck now . Lit a chimney of charcoal and put it in fire box to check for leaks , no leaks . A couple of the pics the corners are messed up due to the outside lens shutter doesnt open all the way .

done 1.jpg

done 3.jpg

done 4.jpg

done 5.jpg

done 6.jpg

Last edited:
A BBQ pit made of WOOD!!!!!!!! :)

You have the fire department on speed dial or what!?!?

Looks great!?!?!?

A BBQ pit made of WOOD!!!!!!!! :)

You have the fire department on speed dial or what!?!?

Looks great!?!?!?

Actualy the inside is 1/4" aluminum , under that is 1/2 inch cement board , under that is fire rated insulation , and yes I do have the FD on speed dial , just in case the lil lady trys cooking with the kitchen oven , :).

I am teasing of course! Amazing job! Will you stain it when finished or just put a sealer on?

I am teasing of course! Amazing job! Will you stain it when finished or just put a sealer on?

I am in the process of thinking how I want to seal it , stain , clear poly , not sure yet

imho, i would say just a standard sealer, only due to the fact that any stain that is put on it would be a waste....as the smoker is used, it will coolect "soot", so to speak and develop a form of a patina of it's own...so i would just basically worry about making sure the wood was sealed and not stained....but that's just my $.02....

Well got my little odds n ends done on my smoker , this thing rocks . I put in about 35 - 40 pieces kingsford in my coal basket , put about 10 in my chimney and lit it , put that on my coals in basket at 3:30 pm and ran it steady at 245 F , it is now 8:00 pm and its still running at 245 F . The nice part about it is , when you stand next to it it doesnt throw heat off like my uds . Well just thought I would do a lil braggin :h . I am doing a Boston Butt this weekend to break it in , will post pics of cook from start to finnish , meat prep , etc . Now I need to name her , any ideas appreciated .

Jeff

Back