My New Smoker in The Works

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2PUPs

Reaction score
Well been trying to get my new smoker done for the 4th in between all my other dutys , looks like I might get it done . Anyways below is a picture of it . Should have the doors done tomorrow and cooking racks done tuesday if all goes well . I made a wood frame then used shiplap boards on outside , insulated it , then put 1/2" cement board on inside , then covered that with 1/4" aluminum .

232323232%7Ffp63597%3Enu%3D8695%3E45%3A%3E25%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D3547%3C762%3B534%3Bnu0mrj

I just fired mine up as we speak for 2 racks of ribs and a roast!

Yes and no. The women have decided they dont want to move in until most of the work is done! With that said we are on a very limited budget and they cant stay on a freakin budget!!!!! The Aunt was supposed to stay on a $1400 budget for cabinets yesterday at Home Depot and I worked it all out in the in stock cabinet isle except for the uppers which we had to order as she wanted the 42" tall uppers which are special order. We ended up spending $2,300 and now have to wait at least 3 weeks minimum for them to come in!! The rest of the difference was supposed to be flooring and have a little left over for washer and dryer and gas dryer are more expensive. I guess for now Ill just play with moving the wall in her living /bedroom as right now they are even and she wants it more like 65/35%.

Yes and no. The women have decided they dont want to move in until most of the work is done! With that said we are on a very limited budget and they cant stay on a freakin budget!!!!! The Aunt was supposed to stay on a $1400 budget for cabinets yesterday at Home Depot and I worked it all out in the in stock cabinet isle except for the uppers which we had to order as she wanted the 42" tall uppers which are special order. We ended up spending $2,300 and now have to wait at least 3 weeks minimum for them to come in!! The rest of the difference was supposed to be flooring and have a little left over for washer and dryer and gas dryer are more expensive. I guess for now Ill just play with moving the wall in her living /bedroom as right now they are even and she wants it more like 65/35%.

Kinda gettin into your fishin time, ain't it Wade?? Oh to be a happy homeowner. LOL, Arne.

Well been trying to get my new smoker done for the 4th in between all my other dutys , looks like I might get it done . Anyways below is a picture of it . Should have the doors done tomorrow and cooking racks done tuesday if all goes well . I made a wood frame then used shiplap boards on outside , insulated it , then put 1/2" cement board on inside , then covered that with 1/4" aluminum .

I have always wanted to have a really nice, custom smoker. This looks like it is going to be the real-deal. Let us know how it works out.

Wait, you already live in a very nice "custom smoker" I think.......

Just kidding.

My bad you set yourself up on that one!!!!!

I live/ed in one as well off and on for the past 10 years or so....

Wait, you already live in a very nice "custom smoker" I think.......

Just kidding.

My bad you set yourself up on that one!!!!!

I live/ed in one as well off and on for the past 10 years or so....

You got that right!!!

We live on the opposite side of town from where the fires came in, but we still got lots of smoke.

Things are settling down, now. We had a displaced family staying with us all last week. Fortunately, their home was spared and they moved back in last night.

One couple we knew have a home right in the middle of many destroyed homes. Their home is stuccoed and has a tile roof. That seems to have made a lot of difference, especially if the soffets were also stuccoed. Authorities said this morning that several huge homes were spared because the lawn sprinklers happened to have been on at the time the fire came in. Go figure.

Things will be a real mess for the next year or so. It takes a lot of time and effort to rebuild 350 destroyed homes. I guess the construction contractors will be in high demand for awhile. Nearly all of the homes destroyed where of the larger, more expensive variety. Most homes here have basements.

There is speculation that the fire was purposely started. Some 20 fires started in a matter of hours. No new fires have been set since then, though. Now that the road up into the mountains is open again, it will be interesting to see if the fires begin again. I am concerned they will.

If you guys have the same experience as we did it will take as much as 2-3 years for some folks to rebuild. The problem stems from the effing insurance companies trying to lowball all their clients. They will try all kinds of tactics to make you just give it and settle at what they want to pay out such as "was that tube of toothpaste full or half full".

You get the picture.

Some families hadn't settled for up to 3 years and were suing the insurance companies as they supposedly had "replacement coverage" but they couldn't come close to rebuilding what they had lost at the payouts they were willing to offer.

If you guys have the same experience as we did it will take as much as 2-3 years for some folks to rebuild. The problem stems from the effing insurance companies trying to lowball all their clients. They will try all kinds of tactics to make you just give it and settle at what they want to pay out such as "was that tube of toothpaste full or half full".

You get the picture.

Some families hadn't settled for up to 3 years and were suing the insurance companies as they supposedly had "replacement coverage" but they couldn't come close to rebuilding what they had lost at the payouts they were willing to offer.

I'm sure it will be the same problem here. Man-o-man!

I've used apple and it's good also. Hickory is very strong, but for me, you can't get too much hickory, especially for smoking a pork shoulder. Last year I bought a "green egg" and I like it.
Semper Fi

Here`s where I am at on the build , would have taken more pics but my cheap as camera was acting up . I need to clean my top 2 racks and add two more therms fo each cooking grate . Also need to make bottom door and coal basket which I am doing tomorrow morn early . Also I am putting thin aluminum on inside of door panels to deflect the heat of the wood . The two black things on top are my exhausts.

232323232fp73468_nu=3548_852_4_3_26398525;425_ot1lsi.jpg

232323232fp63572_nu=8695_45__25__WSNRCG=354893824934;nu0mrj.jpg

Last edited:
A friend of mine that builds smokers, says to extend the vents down into the smoker box a couple of inches and you will get more smoke flavor. Don't know if it's true, just passing on what I heard.
Semper Fi

I could see that being true about the vents sitting a little lower in there.

A little slide tube would make it adjustable, have a slot cut all the way up one side of the slider then a bolt and wing nut to lock it to the fix exhaust thats in now.

Latest posts

Back