My new barrel

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I over filled on my first try. Now, I rack about two bottles out of the carboy first. Then I fill the barrel and top up with the bottles.

Nice barrel.

My sons got it for me for Christmas. I got no info with it at all. I ask but they just ordered off the web and didn't keep the info. It is 20l and I filled this morning and after 20 minutes there wasn't any leaks. Just to make sure I let it sit filled with water for 8 hours. No leaks so I racked my wine onto it.

Congratulations. I've got a 50 liter Hungarian Oak barrel from JK. Remember to sulfite the barrel after use, always top it up, try and keep it always in use. Barrels don't like to be dry. If your home is dry spray the barrels exterior with water. Barrels love humidity.
In time you'll pickup some cooperage skills and be able to remove the top and plane the interior to expose new oak. I do this every 5 batches.
Enjoy your new barrel.

Congratulations. I've got a 50 liter Hungarian Oak barrel from JK. Remember to sulfite the barrel after use, always top it up, try and keep it always in use. Barrels don't like to be dry. If your home is dry spray the barrels exterior with water. Barrels love humidity.
In time you'll pickup some cooperage skills and be able to remove the top and plane the interior to expose new oak. I do this every 5 batches.
Enjoy your new barrel.

You should write a "how-to" on this. I would love to read something on this.

JJ23 you need to do a utube next time you plane your barrel.

Latest posts

Back