My first kit (WE Cab Sauv) is in the bottle!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fedoradude

Reaction score
After 3 rackings, my Cab kit batch was ready for bottling. So, bottled it yesterday.

Was pretty amazed at how smooth it tasted already. I thought I'd been told somewhere that a Cab Sauv takes a full year to smooth out enough for drinking. (Can't remember if it was a full year from start to ready or a full year after bottling).

My small sample was:
  • more consistently deeper red (only translucent around the edges though)
  • Its nose was mildly cherry (had been expecting a more prominent alcohol scent that's never been present at any racking)
  • Taste had no carbonation/fizz, but tasted like glazed cherries or licorice and slightly dry.

Hopefully, a majority of the taste and any % alcohol content has to do with my processing as well as the topping up 3x with commercially available cab, but it's my first try at it and was a definite learning experience.

3-26-16 bottling 0 quality & appearance.jpg

Well done !

How much time since you pitch the yeast ?

Well done. While it is completely drinkable early you will be amazed at the changes, for the better, it goes through over the next year. Enjoy, time to make more :)

Very nice!!

Did you stay mostly true to the kit instructions and timeline? What deviations did you make?

Very nice!!

Did you stay mostly true to the kit instructions and timeline? What deviations did you make?

I tried to stay true to the instructions and timeline, but....

...instructions said don't top it up after racking but there was a sizable air gap at the top each time. So I topped it up with some commercial cab sauv each racking.

I missed the step about stirring the lees back in after first racking. And since it kept leaving sediment layers, i ended up racking it 3 X before bottling (instructions said to do so only once).

I tried to stay true to the instructions and timeline, but....

...instructions said don't top it up after racking but there was a sizable air gap at the top each time. So I topped it up with some commercial cab sauv each racking.

I missed the step about stirring the lees back in after first racking. And since it kept leaving sediment layers, i ended up racking it 3 X before bottling (instructions said to do so only once).
I have made this same kit back through the years and left the headspace for well over 30 days before bottling, with not much difference in taste, although I don't now,,, thanks to this forum.
Don't feel bad about missing the step. I've done it, and people I know have done it, and lots more will do it. :: Just blame it on the devil, and confusing instructions.
As far as the instructions go, I've followed them to the T. But I'll bet good money your batch taste better than mine because of the extra racking and the added commercial wine. Especially at this early step of bottling and drinking. Maybe covered up some of that Kit Taste. :)
Looking back through my notes I actually started this last Cab. Sauv. 1 day before you.
Stay with this forum learn, share have fun. There are some really smart, knowledgeable, wine makers here. I've learned a lot and have a long way to go yet.:h Cheers!!!

Thanks. It HAS been fun to do and I'm planning to do more wines.

I'm also curious re the alcohol content of this batch.

If you take your original specific gravity, disregarding the decimal point, and subtract the final specific gravity...for example 1090 (instead of 1.090) minus 992 (instead of 0.992) equals 98. Divide that number by 7.36. In this case, 98/7.36=13.3. The estimated alcohol by volume is 13.3%. That is the formula I use. Just plug in your numbers and divide by the 7.36 factor.

If you take your original specific gravity, disregarding the decimal point, and subtract the final specific gravity...for example 1090 (instead of 1.090) minus 992 (instead of 0.992) equals 98. Divide that number by 7.36. In this case, 98/7.36=13.3. The estimated alcohol by volume is 13.3%. That is the formula I use. Just plug in your numbers and divide by the 7.36 factor.

Wow..... Those were pretty much my exact numbers at start and last reading. So, I guess I'll consider it 13% alcohol content.

Ladies and gentlemen of the forum, I give you my my first wine batch bottled, labeled and in the rack - my 2016 "Somebody Please Call Me A Cab!" Cab Sauv!

Edited to add the picture.

3-29-16 bottled & labeled 1.JPG

Last edited:
Back