Finer Wine Kit Juice has separated

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gritch

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Several months ago I purchased two FWKs, a Merlot Forte, and a Moscato
Tavola. I made the Merlot, which I am very pleased with, and is now bottled, and aging. The Moscato was refrigerated at 35 degrees during this time; today I opened the kit and the juice looks as if it has separated. The juice is somewhat dark, and has a milky looking sediment in the bag. Will this mix back in and be ok, or is it a lost cause? Thanks in advance.

Several months ago I purchased two FWKs, a Merlot Forte, and a Moscato
Tavola. I made the Merlot, which I am very pleased with, and is now bottled, and aging. The Moscato was refrigerated at 35 degrees during this time; today I opened the kit and the juice looks as if it has separated. The juice is somewhat dark, and has a milky looking sediment in the bag. Will this mix back in and be ok, or is it a lost cause? Thanks in advance.

First off, Label Peelers is really good about answering questions. I would first give them a call.

Secondly, I’m guessing. It’s possibly tartaric acid crystals dropping out because the wine juice is concentrated and the low temperature. If this is the case, the crystals will redissolve when you hydrate the juice. I would not toss them out, as the balance of the wine might depend on them being in the wine. I would not have expected them to be milky looking, more like tiny glass shards.

It could be sugar that has crystalized too. I’ve not stored any FWKs long enough for that to happen but I buy Coloma Frozen Zinfandel concentrated juice in quart bottles that get stored in the freezer and the sugar crystallizes in them after a month or two.
But Bob is right, I’d reach out to LP about it.

First off, Label Peelers is really good about answering questions. I would first give them a call.

Secondly, I’m guessing. It’s possibly tartaric acid crystals dropping out because the wine juice is concentrated and the low temperature. If this is the case, the crystals will redissolve when you hydrate the juice. I would not toss them out, as the balance of the wine might depend on them being in the wine. I would not have expected them to be milky looking, more like tiny glass shards.
Definitely not glass shards or crystals, but thick milky looking. I looked for a number to call LP, but didn’t see one. I’ll dig a little more and give them a call. Thank you

Latest posts

Back