My first bottling

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milw

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I should have taken the time to a) check the actual cork length and b) adjust them all to the same level. Two of them, the internal pressure is pushing them slightly out, can I expect once pressure stabilizes, these can be pushed all the way down & will stay there?

This is my first gallon ever, based on the JAOM recipe; I like the flavor and don’t mind the slight haze.

Have I joined the club now? :)
IMG_4229.jpeg

Thanks @winemaker81 ! When (if ever?) do you put shrink-wraps on?
Stand the bottles upright for at least 3 days, so the pressure built up by cork insertion can level out. I usually leave 'em a week. If you lay them down now, the pressure may push wine out around the cork.

After 3 days, go ahead and put on labels and capsules.

BTW, are you using a filler tube? The ones I have, if you fill the bottle to the brim (or a bit lower), when you pull the tube out, the wine will drop to a good level.

Yes, using the wand for the first time. I think with practice it’ll get more regular; in the heat of the moment I lifted it too early, and then tried to top up (too much). I didn’t really look from the side either. Live and learn!

Yes, using the wand for the first time. I think with practice it’ll get more regular; in the heat of the moment I lifted it too early, and then tried to top up (too much). I didn’t really look from the side either. Live and learn!
As far as beginner mistakes go, yours was benign.

The filler tube takes practice, and even with as many bottles as I've done (204 on Friday), I still goof and overflow bottles on occasion.

A while back I switched to the Fermtech Pro Filler, and love it. The long pin works with deep bottle punts, and the flow is FAST. The one drawback is the flow is FAST. Prior to this I was using the filler tube I purchased in '84, as it still works, but the pin is very short and it's slower. But it's better constructed, as I doubt the Fermtech filler will still be working in 5 years while the old one is nearly 40 years old. Progress has its cost.

https://labelpeelers.com/equipment/bottling/fermtech-profiller/
I'm leaning towards an AiO pump just for bottling alone. Beth (@VinesnBines) demonstrated hers when I was visiting last month, and Scott (@Shurt1073) made a YouTube video of his.

As you may have noticed, there's a LOT of toys available. I don't go crazy on the hardware, but certainly have enough.

The filler tube takes practice, and even with as many bottles as I've done (204 on Friday), I still goof and overflow bottles on occasion.

A while back I switched to the Fermtech Pro Filler, and love it. The long pin works with deep bottle punts, and the flow is FAST. The one drawback is the flow is FAST. Prior to this I was using the filler tube I purchased in '84, as it still works, but the pin is very short and it's slower. But it's better constructed, as I doubt the Fermtech filler will still be working in 5 years while the old one is nearly 40 years old. Progress has its cost.

I'm leaning towards an AiO pump just for bottling alone. Beth (@VinesnBines) demonstrated hers when I was visiting last month, and Scott (@Shurt1073) made a YouTube video of his.

As you may have noticed, there's a LOT of toys available. I don't go crazy on the hardware, but certainly have enough.
The AIO is fantastic, especially for bottling. Although it seems pricey; after several sessions of spills, slow fills, tedious filling…, the convenience outweighs the cost. I’m cheaper than Bryan so take my word!

welcome to WMT. Since you are from Wisconsin you might want to check out Wisconsin Vinters. It is a good place to have second opinions about taste/ how to make better wine. For the purpose of bottling I have a small 12 volt vacuum pump from American Scientific on Oklahoma. The AIO was pricey for me.

Good to hear that your first batch tasted good. Taste is all that matters.

I have used multiple bottle fillers over the several decades I've been a winemaker. When my old homemade vac. pump died , I purchased the Professional AIO pump and Premium Bottle Filler and absolutely LOVE it!!:db Once you get the feel of it, you'll fill every bottle to exactly the same level and much faster than any other manual method. The AIO pump has really enhanced the winemaking experience especially since you no longer have to lift heavy carboys. I used it again last week to rack the free run juice from the primary into a 54 L demi last week which made moving the remaining skins to the press much easier.
All this plus Steve is one of the most customer oriented dealers you find anywhere.

The AIO pump has really enhanced the winemaking experience especially since you no longer have to lift heavy carboys.
Yesterday I homogenized 9 gallons of Merlot that had been in multiple containers. I looked down at the 20 gallon Brute on the floor and asked myself, "Are you really up to lifting that onto the counter?"

Then I looked at the pump sitting on the counter, that I had just used to fill a 55 liter barrel and 54 liter demijohn, and asked myself a second question, "Bryan, why are you such an idiot?" 🤣

[Hint: pumps works great regardless of where the origin and destination containers are located!]

To paraphrase Dr. Ian Malcom, "just because I can doesn't mean I should!" Pumps of any type are great!

The AIO was pricey for me.
It was going to cost me double to have it shipped to Canada with the exchange rate. The accessories are nice. I still paid about $150 to have those shipped and with the cost of the pump I got on ebay I put mine together for about the cost Steve charges. Absolutely worth it.

The vacuum control valve, vacuum release button, splash rack set up, and bottle filler really make a huge difference.

For the first while I was still dragging things to the laundry sink. Now I rack and bottle in the room I store everything in. It completely changed everything for me.

No worries, I’ll have to rack my first 5 gallon soon and had already been thinking about maybe using CO2 to move it, but the vacuum pump idea is great. I have a couple of little air compressors around and one has a vacuum fitting and gauge (salvaged from a flow cytometer IIRC). Seeing as my wife is a teetotaller, I’m not sure how much more I’ll be making; on the other hand she was impressed by the first bottles & sees great gifting potential!

Aw who am I kidding? I’ve already got gooseberries in the back yard, elderberry cuttings rooting, paw paws in pots to overwinter and have just volunteered to help tend a couple of beehives :)
Dude ... you've got the bug. You're hosed. Welcome to the club!

The AIO is fantastic, especially for bottling. Although it seems pricey; after several sessions of spills, slow fills, tedious filling…, the convenience outweighs the cost. I’m cheaper than Bryan so take my word!
Buy the best and you'll only cry once!!;)

Welcome to WMT ... you will find people who encourage or enable depending on how much you're drinking! lol. 😁

I started out like you, but after a few wines under your belt making more wine and a better quality wine will be your goal. There is a lot of good advice here! I'm not a paid spokesperson for AIO wine pump but its made making wine more fun for me. I went from 1-2 sweet fruit wine kits a year to 12 different kits this year. Good luck .... its gonna be great.

Latest posts

Back