My first all grape crush (little one)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Friday afternoon I picked up 3 lugs each of Syrah and Merlot. The Syrah grapes had a few raisins and slightly shriveled ones on some of the clusters but overall pretty good, The Merlot we just beautiful throughout the entire batch. I started a beef brisket about 6:00 pm planning on about 18 hours cooking time and pulled bbq sandwiches for lunch after the crush.
Saturday, with the help of Lori, Kellie (the redheaded god child), Mom and my friend Anthony, we destimed and crushed completely by hand the Syrah grapes then broke for lunch about 2:00. Food was great, everyone ate too much and with a few glasses of wine we headed back to the Wine House to finish up. The consensus, including Lori, was that I should invest in a crusher/destimer. Sensing a mutiny brewing I decided to do the Merlot by myself on Sunday so we could just have fun the rest of the afternoon. Besides, I’d already secured permission to buy a new piece of equipment for next year!
Sunday, working by myself and watching football and golf, I adjusted chemistry on the Syrah. I then destimed/crushed and had the Merlot in 3 primary buckets in just 4 hours. Pitched the yeast on the Syrah, cleaned up the Wine House, tasted a few more glasses of our 2014 Pinot/Cab blend and called it a day.
Monday after work I pitched yeast on the Merlot, Syrah is fermenting away and things seem to have gone as planned. Hopefully It’ll all be ready to press next weekend but we’ll see.

Even on such a small scale using all grapes is a lot of work. I ended up with about 3-1/2 to 4 gals of must from each lug but I know that as I collect the right tools things will be much easier. I’m already thinking next year I will probably be doing more in the range of 400-500 lbs. of grapes.

Special Note:
Being a part of this community has helped give me the confidence to take my winemaking up in levels at a steady pace and I thank all of you for sharing your stories and experiences, it really does mean a lot and inspire us rookies in ways you’re not always aware of.

Thank you,
Mike

Crush1 copy.jpg

Crush2 copy.jpg

Crush3 copy.jpg

Crush4 copy.jpg

Crush5 copy.jpg

Looks great Mike! I did sorta the same thing, bought 3 lugs each of Cab Sauv and Merlot the first time, brought them home and destemmed them by hand. Vowed to NEVER make that mistake again. Next season bought a new hand crank C/D and ratchet press and from there went up to 24 lugs each year after that. This year 30 lugs plus ~6 lugs of my Estate Cold Hardy grown grapes. You might have the bug! :)

Bug indeed! I too echo Mike's heartfelt thank you to this forum. Without it would be lost.
Mike btw looks like you have more managers than workers! LOL
Steve

That made me think of this timeless treasure! :)

422787_2259980677937_2074136697_n.jpg

Looks great Mike! I did sorta the same thing, bought 3 lugs each of Cab Sauv and Merlot the first time, brought them home and destemmed them by hand. Vowed to NEVER make that mistake again. Next season bought a new hand crank C/D and ratchet press and from there went up to 24 lugs each year after that. This year 30 lugs plus ~6 lugs of my Estate Cold Hardy grown grapes. You might have the bug! :)

How many vines do you have Mike, I've put in 10 so far and just training and letting them grow again this year. Maybe I'll have a few next year too.
Mike

Cabernet.jpg

About 35 now I think and looking at that big 5000 sq ft of Kentucky blue grass in the back yard sucking up water all Summer long…….LOL

Krafty,

Trust me, with a crusher-destemmer, 6 lugs of grapes will take you about 20 minutes to process (including time spent sorting).

Glad to see that you have your priorities straight. Making good wine is just as enjoyable ad making good times!!!

I see a tradition beginning!

... one more thing...

What I like to do each year is to carefully remove a side-plank from one of the empty crates. I then take out a sharpie, write the year in bold block letters, and have everyone sign it. Just a little momento.

LOL With that small amount you will spend more time on the setup and cleanup then you will on actually crushing grapes!

Krafty,

Trust me, with a crusher-destemmer, 6 lugs of grapes will take you about 20 minutes to process (including time spent sorting).

Serious Stuff:
Weekend two, sept 26/27, I pressed the syrah on Saturday and racked to partial 5 and 3 gal. carboys. Sunday re-racked them to a 6 gal and two 1 gal bottles of mostly lees. Also on Sunday I pressed the Merlot and again racked to a 5 and 3 gal, re-racked it on Monday night then inoculated both for MLF. Tuesday I added oak to both and tonight I’ll top both carboys up and that should use up the little bit of overage I have of both.

Being new to all grape winemaking I was surprised at the difference in total amount of juice from each type. The syrah were smaller and a little wrinkled, 29 brix so I added 3 liters acidulated water and I finished with barely 6 gals after gross lees racking. The Merlot were very plump, brix was good so no added water at all and I ended up with almost 7 gals after gross lees.

Not so Serious Stuff:
After reading about 2nd run wines here (mostly negative) I went ahead and added about 2 gallons of water with sugar, tartaric acid and nutrients to each grape's pommace. I just don’t seem to learn unless I try it myself. So far the buckets look and smell like wine but really don’t have much flavor after 2 days. At worst I’m out about 24 cups of sugar and 4 oz. of acid. I can alway dump in about 20 cups of sugar and call in a white zin when it’s done or save it for topping off kits or dragon blood.

Now we settle into the boring part………

Mike

merlot:syrah.JPG

Last edited:
I don't know if the wine is still fermenting, but that is a lot of headspace in the carboy. I like to fill mine with an inch or two of the bung.

Back