My chardonnay made with grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LJPelletier

Reaction score
So I just racked my first ever home made wine into secondary. I made it using chardonnay grapes, about 50lbs worth.

I added 1tsp of potassium metabisulphite the day before pitching the yeast.
I added several pounds of inverted sugar, enough to get it to SG 1.110 on my hydrometer.

It sat at room temp for 24 hrs, then I pitched the yeast (Lalvin EC-1118) directly into my primary, allowing it to float on top. This was the Monday night.

On the 3rd day of primary, Thursday night, I added 2 tsp of yeast nutrient containing diammonium phosphate, yeast hulls, magnesium sulphate. This immediately gave the yeast a boost, and I saw much activity over the next day.

This morning, Sunday, less than one week, the fermentation was completely done. Everything that had been floating on top before was sunk, so I decided I should rack.

It is now racked into a carboy with a standard air lock, and is filled up to the 12L mark. Now I just have to wait. :n

I used the lees to make a cranberry skeeter pee, which is now bubbling away like crazy in the primary. I used canned cranberry sauce for that, and the recipe is posted in the Skeeter Pee area for anyone interested. :D

Last edited:
Are you sure about the starting SG?

That would be ~19.2% ABV.......

If that is a true correct SG then I would doubt this wine has been fermented to dry.

What is the SG now?

Are you sure about the starting SG?

That would be ~19.2% ABV.......

If that is a true correct SG then I would doubt this wine has been fermented to dry.

What is the SG now?

Haha, ya, that is wrong. I think it was 1.110

I am sure it fermented dry, or close to it, as my hydrometer was hitting the bottom of the primary bucket. I would have to pull a sample from the secondary to get a current SG.

That would still be over 15% ABV.

Haha, ya, that is wrong. I think it was 1.110

I am sure it fermented dry, or close to it, as my hydrometer was hitting the bottom of the primary bucket. I would have to pull a sample from the secondary to get a current SG.

So I just pulled a sample, just to be sure I was right about the fermentation. The SG is now .990, so it has indeed fermented dry. Extremely murky, yellowy greeny pink coloured. It definately tastes like wine. A bit on the tart side, but does not have any overwhelming alcohol taste. I'm guessing it will taste wonderful in a year or so. lol

How long should I age something like this?

I have chilled my sample, and drinking some now. It doesn't taste too alcoholy, but is definitely very acidic. The starting acid test was high, at 12 g/L. I do not have a pH meter, just the sodium hydroxide test kit. (and I just did another test out of curiosity, and it is still 12g/L, that is very high, right?)

I should probably add something to lower the acidity... but it does still have a long time to age. Do you guys (or gals) think I should add something to lower the acidity now, or just let it age for now?

Last edited:
Wine takes on a lot of characteristics over time. I'd let it age a few months before attempting any adustments. IMO Good luck! :b

I bet the pH on that guy is < 3.0 That acid is indeed very high. I would recommend MLF to help lower the acid and raise the pH but no MLB can tolerate that low of a pH.

At some point you may try and pull a 500ml sample and experiment with an addition of Potassium Carbonate to drop some acid which will increase the pH as well.

You really should get a pH meter if your messing with making wine from fresh grapes. They are cheap these days and a real necessity for dialing in your chemistry.

I would cold stabilize it first. That will drop a lot of excess TA crystals.

If you still prefer a smoother buttery taste - I would suggest doing an MLF.

Latest posts

Back