My Carmenere Grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roblloyd

Reaction score
I got my carmenere grapes from the same place as Joe.
My readings are different than his:
PH: 3.34
TA: .682
SG: 1.09

Do I need to do anything other than let it ferment?

I have (2) 5 gallon buckets of must.
I added:
  • liquid pectic enzyme
  • Wyeast Bordeaux
  • 1/8tsp Nutriferm
  • 1/2 tsp Fermax

Its interesting how the same grapes are so different. Anyone ever experience this? Makes me nervous about the accuracy of my readings now!

Those look spot on perfect. They could have come from a different vineyard or picked a few days later. Unless marked somehow its hard to tell.

Its always good to double check your pH and TA readings as they can change in a 24 hour period as the juice comes into contact with the skins over longer periods of time.

Cool. I was hoping I didn't have to adjust anything. This morning there wasn't much of anything going on. I just opened the lids to punch down the cap and there was one there! It's alive!

Seems like more juice is there now too. I had to squeeze out some with my hand to get enough for an SG reading. I used a loose tea strainer to get juice without other stuff in there to get in the way of the hydrometer.

My must is down to 1.010. At this point I guessing I need to press and put in a carboy?
Then what?
Not sure about MLF, is it too late, is it necessary?
I'm going to oak but not yet right?

Oak can be done after fermentation is complete. MLF needs to be after fermentation. Not sure what order to to or do both simultaniously...

Press when 1.00 or less wait 2-3 days rack of lees and then add your mlb.

Thanks. I guess I need a couple more days then. I am not trying to rush the process but wanted to make sure I'm doing it right. Got a lot riding on this batch being the first one.

Yesterday I hand pressed the must. It took about 1hr with cleanup. I have 7 gallons of juice. SG is at .997 this morning.
I see a pinkish layer of stuff on the bottom and nice clear looking juice on top.

So what's my next step? How do I start MLF or is it too late for that?

I found a few different answers so I'm a little confused on what to do next.

If you don't want to do mlf, rack it off the gross lees you got after pressing and 24 hours settling. If you want to do an mlf and you don't have a lot of gross lees, innoculate the must with the mlb. The lees help feed the mlb. You can buy a liquid mlb form FVW which is already started, just dump it ion and give the wine a daily quick stir.

You can start MLF now as long as the SO2 levels are not too high. You should probably rack off the lees first after a few days of settling.

Back