Muscadine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenbean

Reaction score
Muscadines are getting ripe around here now. I was wondering if anyone
had a recipe for a good dark wine for them. I always end up with a wine
that taste good but doesn't have the color I want. I'm putting some in
the freezer hoping to get more color out of them. Maybe that will work.

Just be sure and do the entire primary fermentation on the pulp. It will give a lots stronger Muscadine taste, but darker color. I would not use more than 6-8 pounds per gallon, too much acid.

Country,

I froze my muscadines
and got alot darker wine with plenty of taste. I only used 4 gallons,
but I'm well pleased with the results. Once I get all of it cleared
I'll post a pic.

iput 29 lbs of tame muscadines in the freezer 3 wks ago, but need a recipe. they were really sweet to the taste and deep purple. hope to make some good wine from them. how long do you let them stay in the freezer before using them. do you crush or put in a bag to start.as you can tell i'm a beginner.

I just pulled mine off the stem and packed them in gallon ziplok
bags and froze them. I really don't know how long they will keep but as
long as you use them within a year. The recipe I used was a modified
version of one on Jack Keller's web site.

Thanks, Chris. I have that recipe and will probable start over Christmas holiday when I have a free week to work with it. Have 25+ gallons of blackberry going now and hope to bottle by Thanksgiving. A friend and I are making wine together and trying to learn. So far the wine we made has been pretty good. Opened a bottle of blackberry we made last summer and it sure was tastie. Can hardly wait till winter and can sit by the fireand sip good wine.
smiley32.gif

Back