Cinn-free - scottzyme, WA115A

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoQuarter

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a question, I ordered Scottzyme color pro for use with the muscadines coming in here over the last few weeks.
My supplier (online) sent me Scottzyme Cinnfree instead so I was wondering if anyone has used it. It is for whites so i was thinking maybe try a very light crush/freeflow off muscadines and make a white. (I get 100s of lbs so it will just be maybe a 6 gallon trial).
Maybe make a ginger wine or something with it later too as I now have more free time, plenty of ginger and never made whites before.
Supplier is sending replacement color pro and said trash the cinnfree...NOT.

I'm planning to use Cinn-Free this fall, more to increase yield than anything. According to Scott Labs (I emailed them), add Cinn-Free at crush time and let the grapes rest 2 hours before pressing.

I also recommend using rice hulls at pressing time -- it greatly increased my yields in red wines last fall.

Following is the replies I received from Brooke Koch at Scott Labs:

Reply 1:

Thanks for reaching out! With the Cinn Free, the contact time really refers to the amount of time that the enzyme will be active and "working." This is dependent on temperature. If your juice is 15°C (60 °F) or warmer than the activity will usually be complete in about 3 days, in cases when the tank temperature is cooler (-1-15 °C /30-60 °F), it can take 4-7 days and it's helpful to stir it up occasionally. This is more of a consideration when we add enzymes post-fermentation/pre-filtration. For this application, when you are adding the Cinn Free to the fruit before pressing or right after pressing and any time it has to work will be beneficial. If you do make an early bentonite add, just remember that will deactivate the enzyme at that point.

Reply 2:

It’s a bit of trial and error but I would say most people would allow for about 2 hours of contact time before pressing to maximize yields. Then after pressing, the enzyme will continue to work to release aromas and help with settling.

So no bentonite, also, being an enzyme. probably should not use k-meta for a while after pressing? If i understand correctly, these types of enzymes stop working with sulfates or visa versa...is that correct?

So no bentonite, also, being an enzyme. probably should not use k-meta for a while after pressing? If i understand correctly, these types of enzymes stop working with sulfates or visa versa...is that correct?
Based upon the statements from Scott Labs, I'd add neither bentonite nor K-meta until a week after fermentation completes, just to ensure the enzyme has done its job. At that point, it shouldn't matter.

@VinesnBines, this conversation should interest you.

Latest posts

Back