Muscadine Wine Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClydeWigg3

Reaction score
New to this and making my first batch. I have a gallon of juice and the air lock is bubbling away. I have the crushed grapes contained in a bag and it's been in the bucket for about 3 days now. The juice is nice and purple and the bag is inflated with a lot of air (which I guess is okay). Is there anything I need to be watching for or careful of right now?

Thank you

I'm just doing my first muscadine also.
Did you take a Specific Gravity reading and if so what was it. Also if you post your complete recipe and what you've done so far the guru's here can really nail everything on the head for you.

Oh yeah, welcome to the forum from one of your Southern neighbors.

We need to know if you have a hydrometer. If so we can guide you easily otherwise we will be winging it along with you.

Yes I do have a hydrometer. I followed a receipe supplied to me by my local Beer and Wine home brewing company. Gallon of juice, water, sugar, pectic enzyme, yeast nutrient, campden tablet, and yeast. When I started, after adding everything but the yeast, the Specific Gravity was around 1.090, maybe a tad over (which is what my instructions called for). I'm just looking for any hints anyone might have that might not be in my instructions they provided.

The recipe I have says to test for acid to be sure it is no higher than 7 parts per thousand (ppt) tartaric. Folks at the home brew store said don't worry about acidity...it is what it is. I'm new to this craft and can't advise what to follow. Good luck.

If the bag is inflated then it must be sealed, is it a zip-lock or something of that kind? You stated that the air lock is bubbling away... then why is the bag inflated? Sure would like to see your set up.

the best advice is this particular wine is no good dry because the sourness of the grapes. Keep that in mind when backsweetening it. Sounds like you are on top of everything!

Some of My Notes and Questions

I hope this isn't inappropriate. I didn't want to start another separate thread on muscadine wine. Forgive me if this is considered a high-jack. Correct me and I shant do it again.

I too have begun my first batches of muscadine wine. I am using Jack Keller's recipe #1 for muscadine wine. Here are the issues I've run into so far:

1. Jack Keller makes a big deal out of muscadines having a high acidity that will need to be reduced. He goes so far as to caution the reader on handling the raw grapes citing the possibility of skin irritation. I'm amazed at this. I grew up out in the sticks and ate wild muscadines regularly. Never experienced anything like the cautions in his recipe. When I checked the acidity (twice) in my chemical suit scared to death, it was 0.35% and 0.40% tartaric. This means I'll need to add acid to get the acidity up to the recommended level. The Keller recipe gives the acid referenced as "7 ppt tartaric." Now I'm NO chemist...but the acid test kit clearly states that folks in the US (that's United States) typically give the acidity referenced to "% tartaric" whereas folks in Europe reference acidity to "ppt Sulfuric." I don't understand why Mr. Keller threw us that curve...but I dang sure chased it...strike one!!!
2. I reasoned that I could surely fit 5 gallons of must/wine into one of the typical 6 Gal buckets that are commonly used as a primary fermenter. Faux Pas on my part. I crushed 5 x 6 lbs = 30 lbs grapes and put into the primary. I then began adding sugar water which should have been 5 x 3 quarts = 15 quarts per the recipe. I had to stop at 12 quarts. But then like my Dad says..."If you ain't makin mistakes, then you ain't doin anything."

Just a note on the acid testing: I bought the "Wine Acid Test Kit" from Crosby & Baker. My must sample was naturally pink in color. When I began adding the sodium hydroxide reagent, the must turned from pink to clear after the first several drops. I didn't count this as a color change, which is what the instructions tell you to look for, I kept adding reagent until the must sample turned pale green throughout. Also, I didn't use distilled water, I used tap water...I suppose this could have affected my test.

Some people have different tolerance levels to deal with the acidity of muscadines. I'm like you in that I can eat as much as I want without an adverse effect from the acid where as a close friend says his lips get tingly and eventually get numb from eating them. I believe the wild variety has a much higher acid content than the cultivated ones.

You can get 10gal primary buckets but they are hard to find. I got one from a lab. equipment supply house for around $30. Some folks just use plastic garbage cans or large ice chests.

Latest posts

Back