Mulberry Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just bottled my mulberry port that has been bulk aging for over a year. It is really,really good. It tasted like crap for the first 6months, but I didn't need the carboy so I let it age till I needed it. Will defnitely be making some more this season.

Can't wait for spring! This looks absolutely YUMMY!

I have a HUGE mulberry bush/tree in the backyard of my rental. No one ever uses up the berries..... guess I will this year - just like I took the apples no one wanted last fall!

Do you recommend freezing before juicing as with other fruits? Or since they are so juicy to beging with, is that not necessary? Regular pressing or steam juicing - which would be best?

That makes all of us Susan.... Freeze them berries for a week or two before juicing them. All fruit benefits from a good freezing before juicing.

be sure to remove the stems before ferminting because of the tannin. is usually easier to destem them while they are frozen.

Good tip, cornfield. When I eat them fresh, I usually eat the stem, since it is stuck so well onto the berry.

Would this tannin be undesirable, as opposed to the tannin added in some recipes? Or could you leave some stems on (purposely or accidentally)and add less tannin?

I only did this wine once. It was made with steamed juice and did not ferment on the pulp. I don't think you would need to worry too much about the tannins with steamed juice.

steam jusing is the way to go because those stems are a bugger bear. I plan on getting a steam juicer this spring for this years crop of mulberries. Mulberries make a fabolus port wine.

I suppose one could use nail clippers or scissors to clip
the stems off. I say this because I don't have a steam juicer and I am
about to inherit 18 lbs (+/-) of purple mulberries. I am really looking
forward to trying this one along with my dewberries</font>.
smiley2.gif
20100610_004034_Dewberry1_573.jpg

Latest posts

Back